Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #2: Psyren

117 posts in this topic

"Oioi! What are [person] and [person] doing getting late in this important times!"

Just.

What.

1349761738796.png

I was reminded of this for those affected chapters.

Also, not the translators' fault but still:

Uranus

Seriously?

So I finished Psyren. The terrible translations seem to get better again towards the end thankfully.

Did you join the ranks of the ones disappointed at the ending?

Deadline for this week is tomorrow; who isn't done yet?

Hello there~

Sean is busy busy busy. This RP Carnival is keeping him on his toes. So I will be taking care of your questions again~

Oh, and a little side note. As seen before, names are something I am horrible at. If I got names wrong I AM SORRY D:

1. Before Yusaka was shown to be evil, what did you think of him? Did he seem suspicious? Did it give away his alliance when he gave Matsuri the card she needed?

2. Chapter 103 ended in the middle of a fight. Do you think Yusaka and his virus will take Matsuri as it did in the vision before the future was changed again?

3. To be absolutely accurate, chapter 103 ends in showing you the second Amamiya coming out to fight. Do you think this is a good thing or a bad thing? Why?

4. We met Ageha's father. What do you think he accomplishes, intentional and unintentional, by disowning Ageha? Do you think this is significant to the story?

5. What do you think Grana's feelings are on Miroku and his plans?

6. We have met Miroku's sister. What do you think of her? What do you think of her mindset on the people she chooses to play Psyren? What do you think of her intentions?

7. As always, with new things coming to light, predictions get killed. If your predictions have gotten drastically changed concerning how the manga will end, what will happen to certain people, etc. please let us know what you think now!

8. This one is just for fun(and debate). What is the best power in here? If you had to choose to have someone's power for yourself, whose would it be?(Thank you Taco for my 8th question~)

1. I wasn't quite expecting that twist, though to be fair I was reading that at 1 in the morning and was just going with the flow instead of over analyzing each scene to support my Marie/Amamiya ship (that ship never really made it out of dry dock did it)

2. The author doesn't like killing good-aligned characters much, or Kagetora and Elmore would have bitten it by now. (Seriously how old is she in the Psyren timeline) She'll live.

3. Usually this is a bad thing, but heroes with superpowered evil sides always end up using them as power-ups in the long run. They'll go all Doublelujah at some point.

4. Trolldad is troll. He's definitely a significant player in some way though, perhaps he knew his son would head for the lab so he'd meet the scientist guy with the code.

5. Grana gives zero fucks, I think. He's the sort who's just there to beat things up, and is only serving Miroku because he bested him and proved himself the better between them.

6. Y halo thar Princess Anima

6a00d8341c68f553ef01310ff3f483970c-800wi

8. It's a toss-up between Frederica and Marie for best power for me, but I'd go for Marie's power in real life because of the sheer utility value.

Honorable Mention: Grana's SUN LASER

6. Y halo thar Princess Anima

THIS. And Miroku is totally Animus, minus a terminal illness.... so far.

Will answer the rest later, when I actually have time.

1. I thought he was oddly supportive considering his job. I wouldn't say I expected him to be evil, but I wasn't surprised when it was revealed.

2. No.

3. So far I think it's a flimsy attempt to make her interesting. Maybe I'm biased, I just don't like Amamiya at all. 

4. Like Wst said he is a troll character. This usually is used to hide the fact that the character holds some valuable secret information or a special technique/secretly a badass fighter, etc. To liken it with another manga, in Bleach Ichigo's father is a goof, which is simply to hide the fact that he's a Shinigami. Or again in Bleach, Urahara being a weirdo shop owner when actually he's an ex captain shinigami who created the evil thing that the evil guy is using to do evil stuff. Ageha's dad is pretty much this type of character if you ask me.

5. Grana straight up just wants to stomp around trying to find a challenge. The only thing that brings him any joy in life seems to be a worthy opponent. 

6. I feel like her mindset is sort of flimsy. She seems to not give a shit about changing the future, only to let it play out, and dragging others into it. This just doesn't really gel all that well. Her complete lack of opinion only makes her boring and seems like a bad attempt to make her interesting. 

7. I think my predictions more or less remain the same. 

8. Menace would be really useful for a pacifist like myself. 

Okay, y'all should have finished the manga by now. If you haven't, you are tardy and I have no desire to speak with you further. Let us commence the discussion.

Beware: questions contain spoilers. Don't peek if you aren't done.

1. The entire cast finally assembled for the showdown in WISE's capitol. What was your reaction to Hiryu, Tatsuo and Oboro's inevitable returns, in addition to the sudden appearances of Matsuri and Kagetora? What did you think of their powers?

2. The villains got fleshed out a little more in the segments set in the present, and a bunch of new villains showed up, most notably Stalker Dude and Ura-*snicker* What did you think of them, and did your impression of any existing villains change?

3. What did you think of the revelation of Nova as the 4th type of Psi? Also, Ageha's dad turned out to be exactly what we expected he would be -- do you think both the concept of Nova and him got fleshed out enough? (I don't.) Also, what did you think of Ageha and Amamiya's new Nova powers?

4. What were your opinions on the fights in the attack on the Elmore children's base and the WISE capital? Did you feel that your favorite waifus/husbandos got good match-ups against the villains?

5. Did you see the revelation that Ouroboros was the true main antagonist coming, or did it come completely out of left field? Do you think that her suddenly hijacking the 'final boss' role cheapened the impact of the final battle with Miroku and WISE?

6. What did you think of the final resolution to the plot in the present day? Did the time-travel shenanigans in the end make any sense whatsoever? Were you unduly disappointed by the hasty conclusion?

7. Overall, did you like the elements of the setting, and why? Which was your favorite Psi power?

8. Overall, which of the villains was your favorite throughout?

9. Now that you're done, you should be able to come to a conclusion. Who is best girl/boy?

10. Overall, did you enjoy the manga? What were your favorite and least favorite aspects of it?

9. Now that you're done, you should be able to come to a conclusion. Who is best girl/boy? And why was it Mari?

FTFY

Also! Next month's manga is going to be a Shounen Fantasy~ (One that I read recently. So even if I don't have time to read myself at least I can actually think of questions)

1. The entire cast finally assembled for the showdown in WISE's capitol. What was your reaction to Hiryu, Tatsuo and Oboro's inevitable returns, in addition to the sudden appearances of Matsuri and Kagetora? What did you think of their powers?

Oboro's return was kinda...meh. Same for Kagetora and Matsuri, a shame since they were probably my two favourite characters overall.

2. The villains got fleshed out a little more in the segments set in the present, and a bunch of new villains showed up, most notably Stalker Dude and Ura-*snicker* What did you think of them, and did your impression of any existing villains change?

Predictable for the most part. I found the villains quite disinteresting. 

3. What did you think of the revelation of Nova as the 4th type of Psi? Also, Ageha's dad turned out to be exactly what we expected he would be -- do you think both the concept of Nova and him got fleshed out enough? (I don't.) Also, what did you think of Ageha and Amamiya's new Nova powers?

I like dark Amamiya better than the real Amamiya. As for Nova...well I guess they had to throw a "bankai" in at some point.

4. What were your opinions on the fights in the attack on the Elmore children's base and the WISE capital? Did you feel that your favorite waifus/husbandos got good match-ups against the villains?

Elmore kids were probably the most interesting characters overall. Pyro Queen Salamandra is fucking awesome. As for match ups...meh. I didn't really like any of the enemies. 

5. Did you see the revelation that Ouroboros was the true main antagonist coming, or did it come completely out of left field? Do you think that her suddenly hijacking the 'final boss' role cheapened the impact of the final battle with Miroku and WISE?

Yeah that kinda sucked.

6. What did you think of the final resolution to the plot in the present day? Did the time-travel shenanigans in the end make any sense whatsoever? Were you unruly disappointed by the hasty conclusion?

Disappointed.

7. Overall, did you like the elements of the setting, and why? Which was your favorite Psi power?

The concept was cool. I liked it. It just sorta feel apart towards the end. As for coolest Psi power? the Tavoo creation was cool. I also liked the concept of "Menace" and would have liked to have seen that ability explored more thoroughly. 

8. Overall, which of the villains was your favorite throughout?

Hmm. Grana was aight. Dholaki was cool too. 

9. Now that you're done, you should be able to come to a conclusion. Who is best girl/boy?

Mari was best girl. Best boy was Kyle. Best conjured fire creature was Salamandra. 

10. Overall, did you enjoy the manga? What were your favorite and least favorite aspects of it?

I did at first but it fell apart at the end. I was left not caring very much about any of the characters apart from the Elmore children, who were all very likable. It's quite a pity really, it had potential to be pretty freakin' awesome. Most favourite aspect was Salamandra, pure and simple. I guess I'm channeling my inner Karyu but I just loved that flame monster. 

Fuu_Salamandra.PNG

Oh Oboro came back~~~~~~?

Also i'm sorry for dropping out of the manga club and not reading. I really don't have the time to commit to this (especially with my multitude of roleplays gulp). It was a nice run though. ^^

It was the most transparent not-spoiler in this entire manga.

Seriously, throwing people into pits doesn't ever kill anyone in manga.

Clearly forgot to get to last week, so here's this week!

1. All of their returns were rather boring. Which was disappointing because I thought Oboro was going to turn out awesome. He spent the final fight unconscious with Tatsuo, who I also expected more from. :x

Figured that Matsuri and Kagetora had gone ahead somehow when Elmore mentioned they disappeared around the same time as the main group.

2. They were just the bad guys. /shrug

When Elmore mentioned a power behind them, figured someone besides Amagi Miroku was pulling strings, but she turned out to be not all that interesting. Amagi trying to kill his sister was surprising, though.

3. I actually preferred normal Amamiya to dark one initially, but the latter performed better in their cooperative battle. Her new katana was surprisingly convenient for matching her duality. >.>

Nova and Ageha's dad was kinda cheap, imo. Like, "you have no chance of beating them normally, so here's a superpower that combines all three types of Psy."

4. Eh. They were matched up appropriately, I guess. Ice-Fire, Shao being Marie's knight in shining armor, whatever.

5. Like I said, figured someone else was pulling the strings. Didn't guess Ouroboros, but figured WISE and the Drifters would end up teaming up against it.

6. Super disappointed. Especially disappointed because the future was saved from Ouroboros anyways AND got rid of Miroku, so going back to one year after present seemed unnecessary. Kinda expected a huge, flashy, concerted effort to stop it in the future. Also hugely anticlimactic that Ageha defeated the Ouroboros vessel so easily.

7. Good concept, shitty ending, I think. Agree with Kyo that Menace is cool, but sucking the life out of people and controlling light itself top that for me. As well as final-form Melchesee's Door.

8. Grana and Junas.

9. Best girl: Matsuri; Best boy: Kyle, I guess? (want to say Oboro or Tatsuo, but they ended up being disappointing)

10. It was pretty good, but the ending really sucked. I couldn't really sympathize/empathize/otherwise care about any of the characters really, though, so I wasn't super drawn into it.