Meheres

R [Closed] The Pact Discussion

29 posts in this topic

The Pact; Sci-fi/Fantasy
Roleplay Thread

Summary

The Pact is a science-fantasy roleplay about futuristic space elves who find themselves invaded by an aggressive alien species and in the panic, the Elves of the planet Laell'ilen have turned to reviving ancient arts through the forming of a Pact; sacrificing something significant in order to bind beast, element, or spirit to the user for power.

General Plot

A small group of rag-tag Elves band together and play an instrumental role in spear-heading the counter-attack against invading forces.

Information

• Elves have long since abandoned the practice of magic, seen and agreed upon as too dangerous and destructive.
  • Elven culture is cooperative and creation-oriented. When they talk of welfare, they don't just mean the welfare of one, they commonly mean the welfare of the planet as a whole.
  • Elves are bio-technological; they are essentially more organically inclined in ways exactly parallel to our mechanical society. We have a electric lights, they use bioluminescent lights.
  • Elves still retain very low attunement to nature and the “superâ€natural; ghost stories aren't superstitious, they are only another plane of existence that they are familiar with and used to, and they are able to see changes in climate, nature, and weather that are imperceptible to humans.
  • Humans are the aggressive invading alien species. In Elven perception, they are The Terminator. Humans are ugly, terrifying, aggressive, and nigh enduring creatures of destruction. They enjoy high stamina, high endurance, high pain tolerance, and high physical shock resistance (ie. they can endure invasive surgeries that cut up the body; Elves cannot, they would die of shock).

Pacts

Pacts can be made with:

• Schools of magic (fire, water, air, earth, light, dark, kinetic (think telekinesis))
  • Elementals (fire, water, air, and earth golems or avatars)
  • Spirits (shades or more animistic spirits; feel free to use your imagination)
  • Beasts (gryphons, dragons, dire wolves, I don't care; feel free to use your imagination here, too)

Pacts give you spells, the ability to manipulate the elements, supernatural abilities, or enhancements. Pacts with beasts become a companion-style relationship and you can gain the ability of the beast you are bound to (such as incredible eyesight and the ability to zoom if you make a pact with a giant eagle). Please do not choose things such as “flight†unless you intend to ride the beast you are bound to.

Pacts require great sacrifice, and these must be both fairly severe and also relevant as incredibly important losses for your characters. Get creative! Some examples of sacrifices include:

• Mental; losing empathy, the ability to feel emotions, aspects of one's “humanity,†cognitive prowess, brain functions, etc.
  • Physical; losing a sense (sight, smell/taste, touch), losing voice (becoming mute), losing limbs, becoming disfigured, partial or full paralysis etc.
  • Existential; losing fertility, shortening life span, losing attunement to any other element or aspect except the one you bind to, losing loved ones, etc.

Characters
You character must be an Elf, but you are free to create/choose any typical RPG subspecies that you wish. You do not have to play an Elf who commits to a Pact, you can play a military-type or a civilian with a staunch resistance to the use of magic. Know that it is instinctive for Elves to feel the urge to turn to magic, and so it is a common internal struggle for someone who refuses to be seduced by the opportunity.

The Game

I want a small group for this (2-4 players maximum, including myself). Character must be approved because I want to make sure that they seemed balanced.

Character Template

[b]Name:[/b][b]Stage of Life:[/b] (Youth/Young Adult/Adult/Mature Adult/Elder)[b]Appearance:[/b](Be as brief or detailed as you wish)[b]Personality:[/b](Brief or thorough, it's up to you)[b]Background:[/b](Can be brief, be sure to bring up relevant information to the sacrifice   made if it conveys the importance of it)[b]Ability:[/b](If applicable, describe Pact including what the character is bound to,   what the character sacrificed, and what sort of spells/abilities/enhancements are gained from it)

Any takers? Also, let me know if there's something too confusing or too convoluted. I originally made a pretty extensive setting and plot, and then realised it was probably way too detailed to be considered for a roleplay. I can modify this as is needed for accessibility purposes.

1 person likes this

Sure, I'll get back into the swing of things with this. I'll have something up sooner or later.

EDIT: What's the difference between school and elemental pacts? And why aren't there light/dark/force elementals?

1 person likes this

I'm also interested! (: If it's not a problem, I might prefer to jump in after a few things have started? A late-ish addition to the group, perhaps. I'm just not sure exactly how much free time I'm going to have in the next couple weeks, is all. However, I can come up with a character to run by you soon~ 

1 person likes this

EDIT: What's the difference between school and elemental pacts? And why aren't there light/dark/force elementals?

Good question, and I probably should just condense it under magic. I think I had the idea to add separate entities for the elements but truthfully I don't know why that would be any different from just being a mage in those things. I'm off to take a much needed nap, but I alter it to be all in the same thing.

I'm also interested! (: If it's not a problem, I might prefer to jump in after a few things have started? A late-ish addition to the group, perhaps. I'm just not sure exactly how much free time I'm going to have in the next couple weeks, is all. However, I can come up with a character to run by you soon~ 

In all honesty, I will probably be afforded the least free time out of anyone that joins. That said, I don't mind if you want to join in later and I'll probably still let four people start off if there's interest for it.

I'm no graduate yet, but I plan to become one very, very soon (one more post till I can apply).

Name: Emlinor

Stage of Life: Young Adult

Appearance: He has long dark hair tied together in a long tail. His blue eyes are underneath two dark eyebrows. He has a thin face and a pointed chin, he's fairly slim though rather short compared to the other elves. He likes to wear shades of green, grey and brown, allowing him to remain hidden in the woods from untrained eyes.

Personality: He used to be quite careless and spontaneous, this however changed when he made his contract. The penalty for his contract no longer allows him to safely hunt from the tops of the trees as he used to and sometimes he is painfully reminded of this fact. However he is willing to sacrifice his own happiness for the greater good of the elven race. He doesn't feel much hate towards anything, including humans, however they continually make him sad, both in their actions and how they force him and his companions to react. Within a group he's ready to take charge when he feels it is needed but doesn't feel comfortable having the lives of others in his hands, this makes him a better advisor than leader.

Background: Emlinor had a very good childhood, he had loving parents and they fully supported his choice to become a archer for both hunting and military reasons. As soon he got his parents and the town elder's consent he travelled the land, going from town to town to teach himself new skills and become a better archer. He was somewhere far away from his home when the human army first struck. Although they didn't strike near his home-town, he doesn't know if they expanded towards his town. Only vague and contradicting rumours are what keeps him updated on the situation. Because of the uncertainty and the desire to fight back he decided to do the unthinkable, accept the destructive power of a fire avatar to fight the invaders with.

Ability: He continually has a fire avatar around him, from him this is a human and female like shape which is made up entirely out of fire. It floats a few inches above the ground and has full control over magic-powers. The avatar has a mind of it's own and although it will listen to Emlinor, he has no full control over it. At times the avatar will make decisions on it's own, always keeping the safety of Emlinor in mind. The avatar cannot be dismissed, although there is no real limit to the space between them. Since they are connected they share a small amount of feelings together and each knows where the other is at all times, feelings such as fear or danger are transferred quite clearly.

In order to make the pact with the avatar he has lost a certain control over his own body. He is now inflicted with a tourette-like affliction, which makes his body tense up random times and at certain triggers, such as the slow scraping of metal on metal. During these times his body becomes nearly unmovable and every muscle in his body seems to cramp up, leaving him exhausted and in pain. Both the frequency and intensity of these moments vary due to no known reason.

Edited by DragonGuard
1 person likes this

That's one way to do the avatar. I was actually going to get rid of that and make it just mage-type stuff for simplification, but if you don't want to necessarily be a fire mage I certainly support an avatar that doesn't exactly listen to the user. The only thing I would ask is that he has absolutely no fire power on his own. Beyond that, he looks fine.

I will make my own character depending on what the rest of you decide to play.

Also I'm hoping for this to be a shorter type of roleplay. Obviously it depends on how it goes with everyone and what is brought to the table, but essentially I'm thinking one or two main battles and some form of a conclusion. Drop into the meat of the story and come out with some sort of feels.

Jeez, this took a while, but here I am!

Name: Gwythyr the Quiet

Stage of Life: Adult

Appearance: Relatively tall, Gwythyr's true face is known to very few. Most of the time, he keeps himself wrapped in various layers of light cloth. But compared to other elves, he is more steady and even a little bulky, owing to a life full of athletics and combat training. Whatever hair he may have is short and hidden as well, and the only other feature that can be seen are his eyes, blue as ice and ever vigilant.

Personality: There's a reason Gwythyr has his title. He's an elf of few words, and curt manners. But nevertheless he is a prideful person - personal power is his first and foremost virtue, for if one can not contribute, then the community as a whole is diminished. His faith in his own strength, on the other hand, allows him to be generous and immediate with his help. If his friends need support, he is there to provide. Help provides praise, and so the cycle of his pride is complete. Aside from that, he's generally a little high-strung, and will not or only reluctantly take orders if he doesn't think the one giving them is worthy of his help.

Background: Gwythyr was born into a traditionally military family, and was a great fit right from the start. Though he was only the youngest of the siblings, he was always competing with his elder sisters, using his natural strength to his advantage where they used speed and experience. He showed great affinity for melee combat, moreso than energy-launchers (whatever the elf-guns are called). It wasn't until he had his basic military training completed, however, that his life turned upside down.

He was taking a walk in the nearby forest, something he likes to do to escape the hustle and bustle of the city. A shimmer drew his attention to an object half-buried between the roots of a particularly mighty tree. It was a small crystal amulet, maybe the size of his thumb. Even with how carefully he pulled it from the ground, it still turned to dust the moment he had it fully uncovered. But where the crystal had been, now a bright light shone. The light was soon enough accompanied by heat that seared what seemed like the entirety of his skin thrice over. In agony, he dragged himself back home.

Now a cripple, it seemed that Gwythyr's life was over. How was he supposed to contribute now, weak as he was? Even though elven medicine was good enough to keep him alive, his eventually-healed skin was still extremely sensitive to light and heat of any form, resulting in his current state of being wrapped up in cloth at virtually all times. But when his physical therapy started to get him back into shape, he discovered a new power.

Ability: Gwythyr's mind and soul are not fully his own anymore. His thoughts and feelings are now shared by the spirit that calls itself Rhagnell. Though its true nature and purpose are still unknown to him, for it does not give him much information, it does find a pleasure in stoking his ambitions and quest for power. It is similarly minded to him with regards to pride and power, though much more stubborn and solitary. Though he later came to recognize it as such, Gwythyr's Pact with Rhagnell is not quite the same as others. The spirit, after a while, explained that it had latched onto Gwythyr's desire and praise of his own power, and as such had chosen him as a host.

But in exchange for its freedom, Rhagnell gave Gwythyr more power. He's stronger and faster than before, and even moreso than anybody else he's met since. His endurance has been spurred on to match through continuous training, and sometimes it seems that he barely has any physical limits at all. But he still has to eat and sleep like any other elf, and he does get tired eventually. Just a lot less sudden than his kin.

1 person likes this

Name: Mirova

Appearance:
4e53eef5.png

Very tall, about six and a half feet, and leanly muscled, like a wildcat. His eyes have no white in them; they are pools of inky darkness, only broken up by the light reflecting off of them. His hair is just as black, silky and mostly straight, tapering down to just below his shoulder blades in length. His ears are pierced multiple places with heavy steel rings and decorated with chained cuffs.

Barely any of his pale skin shows; his nose and mouth are covered with a solid black mask that is etched in a strange decorative pattern. From his neck down he's covered in black, his tight-fitting leather bodysuit covering everything. On his torso, forearms, and legs, there are shining black armor-like plates in addition to the suit itself, reminiscent of a black scorpion. They're fastened on with leather belts and a heavy abundance of buckles. His gloves end in sharp, stinger-like claws, and his boots are much the same, possessing a high, stiletto heel that ends in a severe point. To top it off, he wears a tattered black cloak that hangs down his back like a cape and drapes around his neck thickly like a heavy scarf.

His voice is like dark velvet, and even from underneath his mask, it rings clear like crystal.

Personality:
Feline and cold, but very easily angered when things don't go his way; he can be quite impatient with others, as he likes to do things in the way he feels is best. A control freak, in many ways. Prefers working independently, but will use others if he must. He trusts very few people and comes off as quite aloof, even snobby and cruel due to his distance.

Background:
Mirova was once a skilled archer, teaching the practice as an art, rather than a necessary survival skill. His entire life revolved around his keen sight, but he abandoned his beautiful but useless art in exchange for something more practical. He made a pact with a spirit beast called Khairos, but sacrificed his eyesight in the process. It took him years to learn to function again as a blind elf, but over that time, he also bonded with Khairos and learned to rely on him. Though he lost his sight, he lost none of his agility or elegance, something that Khairos also possesses.

Ability:
In exchange for his eyesight, Mirova made a pact with a dark creature only known as Khairos. Khairos is a dark beast, a cross between dragon and scorpion. His armored body is sleek and black, slim and snakelike. His tail is a scorpion's, upturned and ending in a lethal stinger. His head is pointed with two twisted horns protruding from the top, and his eyes glow an unearthly violet. His size is comparable to a horse. [similar Reference]

Khairos is Mirova's set of eyes. Briefly, the two can connect and Mirova can "see" what Khairos is seeing. This is physically and mentally exhausting, however, so it's taken them some time to build this trust and ability between them.

Both have the ability to shadowmeld: to stealth into the shadows and lurk silently, making Mirova and Khairos great at the art of ambush. (To be clear, Mirova would be unable to do this if Khairos was in some way disabled or too far from him.)

Mirova uses a set of dark-forged blades to fight, which he found much easier than even attempting to shoot a bow and arrow while blind, which is still nearly impossible for him unless the target is making massive amounts of noise.

1 person likes this

Seals of approval~

I will create and throw up my own character here tonight or tomorrow and we can start shortly thereafter. I would do it now but I need to actually try to get some homework done haha.

PS. We will have one more by virtue of PM, so this'll end up a larger roleplay than expected but whatevers.

Name: Chiran Windstriker [[pronounced "kai-rahn"]]
Stage of Life: Young Adult
Appearance:
Chiran is only a few inches over five feet, with a soft, sweet face and weak jawline. He has small shoulders and wide hips, with long crimson hair that he keeps forward over one shoulder in a low ponytail. He is nigh indistinguishable from a female while wearing (reasonably loose) clothing. However, his chest his flat, and he has all male hardware.

His skin is creamy pale and flawless, with pink lips and big, shimmering red eyes. His voice is airy and androgynous. His long ears stick up and out cutely from under his mass of thick, pin-straight hair. In short: He's really pretty.

Personality:
Chiran used to be an arrogant ladies' man. He spent much of his antebellum adolescence with booze and women, reveling in wealth and the overall prosperity of his city. With a father who made his money in the luxurious drug trade, his lifestyle of waking up with three women in his bed and falling asleep with five new ones seemed to fit naturally into his vision of the future. Nowadays he's a touch more reserved, with the occasional flare of temper and a constant 50% frustration state. He's socially awkward, and subject to fits of being irrational and emotional.

Background:
Chiran grew up in luxury, but more than nice things, he really enjoyed carnal comforts. Notably by the time he'd reached the end of puberty, Chiran was six feet tall, lean and well-muscled, whose deep, elegant voice and sultry eyes could capture any beautiful person he chose. In short: masculine, deliciously so. It wasn't until news of the Human invasion a few cities south of Chiran's home that the people began to prepare to fight or prepare to flee, casting off their lazy, hedonistic ways. It came reluctantly for a few: including Chiran. Those who refused to adequately prepare for a threat they hadn't met yet had their choices reduced to fight, or die.

And Chiran was neck-deep in a hot tub red with freshly eviscerated organs and flayed flesh when he made his desperate pact. In order to attune himself with his element, having nothing he prided more, he was forced to give up his masculinity. Not that his fertility or libido were themselves damaged, but his mental state has made them both non-issues; he's too uncomfortable in his body to want to use it in his old ways.

Ability:
In the olden days where being a mage was a noble profession rather than a cause for therapy, the Windstriker clan was well attuned to the magic of kinesis. One of the more dangerous abilities, Chiran has a 6 m range (about 18 feet) of pure "kill zone" where any corporeal entity can and will be picked up, bashed about, even torn in two by invisible manipulators. The strength and number of these invisible hand/arm type weapons at Chiran's disposal are directly related to his mental focus, and because of his physical state his power is almost always weakened from Chiran's incessant self-centered thoughts. Desperation will make him very dangerous, though.

Conveniently, the same power can be used with a bit of dexterity to pick up things out of his natural reach. He can to a very numb extent feel the object he's manipulating, enough to judge grip strength.

Name: Leeuwnye Warstride
Appearance:
Leeuwnye is muscular for an elf. Her body is androgynous, flat and straight as if modeled from male pubescence. She is average in height and dark in complexion, smooth ash-brown skin underneath short, coarse black hair. Wooden shutes are pierced through the length of her ears and her upper right arm is decorated with a tribal style of puffy scarification that incorporates the ancient family crest of the Warstride clan.
Personality:
She is a no-nonsense, action-oriented woman who doesn't like to spend any more emotional effort than she absolutely has to. Leeuwnye prefers to take care of what needs to be done sooner rather than later, and copes with a high stress military lifestyle by focusing on tasks and accomplishments. There is no room in her soul for “What Ifs,†there is only what can and cannot be.
Leeuwnye is rational and empathetic, sometimes proving herself an excellent and favoured leader. Other times she is curt and aggressive. Above all, Leeuwnye is not the kind of woman who waits around waiting for something to happen- she is going to go out there and make it happen, or find the catalyst that makes it so.
Background:
She comes from a long line of warriors and has served in the military for years. Many of her current large and extended family members are involved in active duty, while others have held firm places in government councils and diplomatic relations positions. Warstrides are known to stand their ground and find strong root in their convictions and decisions.
Ability:
The only abilities she has are all military training related. She is a great survivalist, keen marksman, and reasonably hardy in terms of endurance (though nothing compared to their alien adversaries). She has not made a Pact and is committed to resisting the pull she feels towards the power of the shadows.

Prepare for a first post tomorrow-like!

Holy crap, I'm rusty. I'm writing something now, but I don't know if it's distraction, tiredness or just plain rust. But I already hate it...

I'll post it though I guess... -.-

Edit: Or, uh. Nevermind. Because I got home and my laptop is just fine?!?! Possessed machinery.

Ok update: Computer is definitely dead, and I am in emergency weather-related disaster situations so please forgive me for being away. Hopefully this will end in the next day or so, but it's hard to say.

... Well I certainly hope not. I'm back with a new computer and with the security of a hot, sunny day that has taken care of a lot of the overflowing water. Nothing can be said for the washed out roads yet, but I'm confident the worst is over. I don't look forward to going back into the gratuitous schoolwork routine, but what can you do.

Seems like Wahad lost interest? Did anyone else, too? : /

Not yet, but I have been pretty busy the last couple of days, will become a little easier soon I think.

I'll try to post ASAP.

I'm glad everything turned out okay, Meheres!! D: 

And, well, to be honest I've been having trouble coming up with a character for this RP. I can't really seem to think of something fitting. ): I know I was planning on joining a bit late either way, but unless things keep going I'm not sure I have any ideas to contribute. 

Yay!

Sunset: Oh I get ya, don't worry about it. Let us know if you start to get an idea or feel the motivation coming on up.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead