Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
ack!

Weird Habits

39 posts in this topic

So I have this weird habit. Whenever I drink water (particularly what that comes from a tap), I never drink the last little bit. I started doing this because at the house I grew up in, we had well water. The water had a lot of sediment in it, so there'd be little floating particles of ickiness at the bottom. Although I haven't had to have water like that in years, I still don't drink the last little bit of water out of my glass.

What weird habits do you have? Do you know why you have them? TELL US!

Chips/fries in my sandwiches/burgers. I've actually tried to eat it without any but it's just... not the same.

Mmm. That's tasty, I just don't ever do it. I put chips on my sandwiches for awhile when I saw it on a commercial on Nickelodeon. Haha.

But that reminds me a weird food thing for me... I put my corn on top of my mashed potatoes. I thought it was normal, because my mom did it, but apparently nobody fucking does this thing. But it makes it easier to eat. T_T

I think most people do that actually, except for the picky people like me who don't like it when their food (that isn't supposed to) touches.

I can't think of any weird habits(though I'm sure I have them in bounds) but as for weird foods I like to eat toasted waffles(as in not the yummy delicious Belgian waffles) with peanut butter and cinnamon on them. 

I almost always eat all my food separately. Like for example if I have a plate if beef, potatoes, peas, carrots and gravy, I will always eat the veggies, then the meat, then the potatoes (not neccesarily in that order but always separate).

Volume on the tv always has to be on an even number. People who put the volume on an odd number are detestable.

I readjust my possessions if somebody else places them. It's not about orderliness or symmetry, or anything like that, stuff can be squint I don't care. But say for example someone places a drink down for me, I'll pick it up only to put it down again, slightly adjusted. If anyone ever picks up one of my things and then puts it back, I always readjust it.

Ice cubes in my drinks also have to be an even number.

Also I have found when my girlfriend and I hold hands, our fingers have to clasp in the right way. This is kind of hard to explain but if my left hand is clasped with hers then my thumb has to be on the outside, however if I am clasping her hand with my right hand, her thumb has to be on the outside. I'm not sure if that makes sense.

Volume on the tv always has to be on an even number. People who put the volume on an odd number are detestable.

I agree with this sentiment.

I have similar regards to other things I do; if I'm reading a book and have to stop, it has to be on an even number (same with Manga), if I'm watching something and have to pause it I always wait until it's on an exact minute, and other similar stuff. I can't think of any other particularly wierd habits I have, but I suspect I have a number of them.

I agree with the hand holding bit. I couldn't explain which way is right but the wrong way is annoying. Lol

I've the same thing as Ack, where i don't drink the last part of water. I can't remember why, but it's certainly not anything to do with growing up by a well though. I think it's cuz i dislike the feeling of disappointment where i take a drink of water and not enough goes in. XD

The most poignant one for me is to do with trains. When i'm waiting for the train i must wait at the door where there's no other people. If every door has people, i'll wait at the side of the door that has no people. If it's a crowded station and every door is filled with waiting crowds, i'll literally keep walking from one end of the station to the next, and back again, till the train comes, then i stop at the nearest door when the train stops.

Next is seating. I'm more lenient with myself on this one, but if i'm not sick or unbearably tired, i only take seats that have nobody sitting beside them to the left and right. Meaning i need 3 empty seats in a row before i take the middle one, or 2 in a row if it's a corner seat. People can sit afterwards if they wish though.

These rules stop applying when i'm with other people though. I don't want to embarrass myself. XD

1 person likes this

If a specific movie is on tv and I end up watching it. Like...Say it's Harry Potter and the Prisoner of Azkaban, I 'can't' just watch that one. I have to go and watch all the ones that come after.

I also have to have everything in alphabetical order when it comes to my manga. 20th Century Boys goes before Ace Attorney, which goes before Akira, which goes before Attack on Titan. Blah blah blah. But I also do this for my anime DVDs/seasonal tv show DVD sets. I HAVE to do it, otherwise it looks horrid.

I almost always eat all my food separately. Like for example if I have a plate if beef, potatoes, peas, carrots and gravy, I will always eat the veggies, then the meat, then the potatoes (not neccesarily in that order but always separate).

THIS^

But the worst is like, when I have buffalo chicken and a starch. Like french fries or a baked potato with sour cream. I'll eat all of the starch first, then the chicken, but I stop half-way through the fries and think "maybe I should save some fries for when I'm eating the spicy chicken, my mouth might thank me for the not-so-spicy food to break up the spicy food." I never DO THIS because how could I leave a half eaten pile of fries on my plate, but the thought always happens. 

When i'm eating if the food is separate i must eat each component in order. The biggest component first (like rice or noodles or meat) then the other sides. And i do it in turn so it's all even and balanced.

Kyo, I used to always have to have the volume on the TV in multiples of 5... I'm bit better about it now, but I still catch myself doing it.

Also, I tend to do things in threes. This included ice cubes until I realized that I absolutely can't drink warm water, so more ice cubes the better. Haha.

When it comes to eating food separately, the only thing I do is french fries from fast food--I always eat them first. Cold fries are gross, so they get eaten in entirety before the rest of the meal. XD

OH. And I have a really bad habit--I'm VERY picky where I sit in a restaurant or anywhere in public. Specifically in restaurants it needs to be facing the least amount of people, the first seat the waitress presents, or near a window (looking out). I feel like somebody else on here has this same habit as well. Haha.

When i'm eating if the food is separate i must eat each component in order. The biggest component first (like rice or noodles or meat) then the other sides. And i do it in turn so it's all even and balanced.

This, I wasn't sure what my quirkiness to eating was but you described it quite well. I don't want to eat all of one side, I have to eat them evenly, which gives me a lot of trouble when you're dealing with things that cannot be evenly distributed easily.

I do the water thing too, except I very specifically have to toss the last bit of water back in the sink. Even when I do sometimes finish the last drop (very thirsty) I still reflexively toss the non-existent contents of the cup into the sink.

I always have a lot of stuffed animals handy around my house, and often puppeteer them to interact with people.

Whenever I want to take a sip of my drink and I realize that the glass is empty, I end up holding it for a second or two while I wait for that one drop that was still left to come trickling down.

This process repeats every 3 minutes until I stop being lazy and go refill my glass.

If I reload a page to check for updates but then I click off of it before it finishes load when I come back to it, even if it's only a second later, I have to reload it again.

If I reload a page to check for updates but then I click off of it before it finishes load when I come back to it, even if it's only a second later, I have to reload it again.

This.

It's some kind of paranoia that the loading stopped halfway when I switched out.

OH. And I have a really bad habit--I'm VERY picky where I sit in a restaurant or anywhere in public. Specifically in restaurants it needs to be facing the least amount of people, the first seat the waitress presents, or near a window (looking out). I feel like somebody else on here has this same habit as well. Haha.

My girlfriend is also picky about eating in public. Basically she hates seeing other people chewing with their mouth open so she will optimise her seat placement so shes facing me, preferably with my back to a wall. This is only because im trusted to eat with my mouth closed.

1 person likes this

I can totally understand your girlfriends plight, Martin, but I can't think of any restaurants that you can even see other patrons without intentionally peering over the dividers, other than like fast food restaurants.

1 person likes this

Dunno how it is in the UK, but over here there aren't a lot of restaurants with dividers.

In many of the restaurants here, it's pretty difficult to see other restaurant-goers. There are usually booths with high backs that you can't see over when you're sitting down (I'm 5'2" though, so it might just be me!). In the center there are sometimes tables, usually with another row of booths to split that up. You could see people from the tables, not the booths though. 

I think it probably just depends on the place you live and the place you are going to eat. Different places have different setups pretty much. I have a habit of sitting in a position that is optimal for monitoring others in case someone busts up in there to kill or something. I don't like to put my back to others where possible,

Booths are normally our preferred seating area but not always an option. One issue we encounter is we like to eat at little local restaurants that are tucked away, such places usually have the best food. The issue with that is the tables are normally quite close together and cramped. One of our favourite places to eat is also kinda horrible for my girlfriend because there are tables there that can have you literally touching elbows with other diners. We tend to go there between the lunch and dinner rush and hope for the best!

I used to have problems with crowds, but no so much any more. And with physical contact, but again, i've managed to take control of that a little bit. I still have a fixation on clean hands though, if my hands get even the littlest bit dirty I really need to clean them. Mostly its just obsessive ticks that form my habits. Mmm, some of the habits people have mentioned I dislike too or agree with. Like a certain way of holding hands, or eating food in a particular order, etc. Especially take-out. Oh, y'know actually, one of my major habits, and sometimes I love it and other times I hate it (and others do too. lol) is I have this bad habit of singing whatever i'm doing at the time. It usually comes into play when i'm not really thinking or bored in general. Sometimes its singing about what i'm doing, other times it's singing about random nonsense.

I have to shower every time before I change into my nice going-out clothes. This sometimes means that I would shower after waking up, and then shower again half an hour later, right before I change clothes to go out.

I also set my volume at an even number whenever I adjust it, come to think about it.