Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
DayDreamer

Halp what is this

12 posts in this topic

So on my break the other day I inspected the back of the paper cookie bag I had from Subway, and saw the warning about possible nut ingredients in several languages, and figured I would try the Chinese I am learning out on it, only to find it didn't have any Asian languages at all. But the thing is, it is a seriously massive list of other languages and I have no idea why it has all these but entirely omits Asian ones.

Also a few overseas people I've shown seem to find the size of the list ridiculous and don't seem to have anything as large on theirs, so I also wonder is it really that unusual? Look-see, bonus points if you can identify every single language in the list:

f5gvvDp.jpg

Also general "region-specific differences in global brands in your area" thread.

Subway confirmed for Eurocentric imperialists

There isn't a single Asian language represented on this bag, and yet they've got a backpacking tour of Europe completely represented on it

The other thing is if one combines Cantonese and Mandarin (which makes sense for the sake of writing at least, as in this case), then Chinese is the second most spoken language in Australia after English by almost double the next, so it is not like there aren't enough speakers of it to warrant such inclusion.

Yeah, it's puzzling why they wouldn't include Chinese. 

Perhaps these bags were from Europe? Y'know what you should do? Go buy more Subway cookies from a different outlet and see if you get the same bags. For science.

#I'mnotashillforSubway

#HonestlyIpreferQuiznos

#It'sthefreechillibarItellyou

Well that is why I made this thread, I have heard from a Singaporean and American that this is not like their bags, and so I need European input and a larger sample size. I shall attempt to conduct further field research when I can.

LANGUAGES:

English
An eastern European country, can't read Cyrillic so I dunno. (Probably Russian, since it is at the top)

Dutch

French

Greek

Spanish

Suomi (Finnish language)

German

Hungarian

Another Eastern European country that uses Cyrillic.

Romanian, I think?

Swedish

I don't know this one.

Or this one.

Danish

Portuguese

Looks like Spanish, but it isn't Spanish. Catalan, maybe?

No idea. Probably Norse.

Italian.

The city I live in is a melting pot of so many different cultures and shit (I think we were even called 'Cultural Capital of Europe' somewhere in the early 2000s). So I have seen most of these languages being written by friends and acquaintances and have gotten pretty good at distinguishing the patterns in their writing. 

I like how 'cookies' is the same in quite a few languages.

Cookies are a universal language!

-nodnod-

Bizarre. I would say maybe they just didn't have anything non-Roman based, but there's Asian languages that use Roman alphabet or variations so wth?

Judging by the languages used, I am assuming that this package is probably used by the European Subways. It isn't that weird for them to exclude Non-European languages.

Next time I get a subway cookie (which will probably be never) I'll check out mine :p