Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Cyberpunk RPG (Closed)

23 posts in this topic

Darren Connor, also known by his alias Mr. Smith, is a prodigious runner who has managed to live a life much longer than many of his co-workers, amassing a great deal of money over the course of it. Even though he retired, he was never able to fully pull out of the game and opted to still play a part in it.

Mr. Smith founded the Red Circle, a collective of Shadowrunners who had proven themselves worthy of Mr. Smith’s time and effort. Mr. Smith used his resources and contacts in order to help Shadowrunners as much as he could, by giving them access to Mr. Johnsons he knew from his past life and giving them access to a wide information network.

You are six of the twenty members of the Red Circle; talented Shadowrunners who operate in Seattle under ‘orders’ of Mr. Smith. Through him you have gained wealth, experience and even a bit of fame in the underworld, but are you ready for the next step?

Shadowrun doesn't have any 'classes'; every character is not defined by his 'role' but his skills. So in that sense you could make a Jack of All Trades and power your way through the story while being mediocre at everything. Or you could create PCs that work well as a team by giving specialties to everyone. These specialties are best reflected in the 'concepts' introduced by the Core Rulebook. These concepts are basically character archetypes that specialize in a certain aspect. These concepts are:

Face (HH)
The face runs his fingers over the thrumming strings of other people’s wants and needs, playing them like a maestro. He is master of the con, a polished negotiator, and often an expert leader. interacting with Mr. Johnson during the meet is his specialty, especially when it comes to bargaining for the greatest profit. The face also excels at legwork, coaxing or squeezing vital information from a variety of sources that could help make sure his job is a success. Though the face usually manages to get what he wants with charm and a smile, he knows how to be more forceful to get people to cough up their secrets. Words are the face’s weapon of choice and Charisma and Willpower are the face’s two important attributes—but he has no problem using an Ares Predator when the
situation warrants.

Spellcaster (Time?)
A manabolt to your chest, a fireball in your face—that’s what the spellcaster brings to the table in combat. And he does so much more. He manipulates and channels mana, an energy field that is the essence of magic. Mana can be manipulated in several different ways, allowing for different types of spellcasters. Magicians follow a more logical and ordered system of magic, while shamans rely more on their instincts and intuition. To make a spellcaster, a player needs to select a priority that grants a Magic attribute rating (see Priority Table, p. 65). Depending on the tradition, Charisma or Intuition can be important attributes for spellcasters, and Willpower is an important attribute for resisting Drain.

Decker (Noia)
The trickster in the Matrix, the flash of lightning in the corner of your virtual eye—a decker specializes in hacking into computers, commlinks, and datahavens. Her job often involves stealing, altering, and manipulating data as well as taking control of or modifying security systems so her teammates can get in and out of defended facilities. A good decker knows her work may put her right in the middle of heated action, and she knows how to react. Whether she’s firing a weapon, disabling the weapons of others, or sending every electronic device in a place on the attack, she has a whole bunch of options to keep herself involved in unfolding combat. A decker never travels without her cyberdeck (p. 227), the tool of her trade. Logic, Intuition, and Willpower can be important attributes for the decker character.

Technomancer (Wstfgl)
Some people hack the Matrix with physical tools, but a few have the ability to log on with nothing more than their minds. These people are technomancers. A technomancer can access the Matrix with his mind through an intrinsic connection that’s not fully understood, even in 2075— though plenty of people would pay plenty to figure out how it works. A player who wishes to play a technomancer must select an option on the Priority Table (p. 65) that gives the character a Resonance attribute. Logic, Intuition, and Willpower can be important attributes for the technomancer.

Rigger (DD)
Some people drive cars; other people use vehicles as an extension of their body, like an additional set of limbs. A rigger is a professional driver, an ace controller of all sorts of machines. She is highly skilled in the operation, repair, and customization of all sorts of vehicles and/or drones, offering surveillance, transportation, and remote firepower to their team. Reaction is a critical attribute for riggers.

Street Samurai (Eth)
Some artists work in watercolors, some in oils. The street samurai is an artist of pain. In any given situation, he knows fifteen ways to hurt an opponent, and an additional eight ways to hurt an opponent real bad. He can take significant amounts of damage and stay standing, leveling devastating damage on her opponents. He typically is augmented with significant amounts of cyberware and bioware to make him exceptionally tough and dangerous in physical and armed combat. While he is ferocious and deadly, he tends to have a code—it may be a code comprehensible only to him, but it’s something. Body, Strength, and Agility are important attributes for characters that are street samurai.

Excellent. DD told me he's going for Rigger and Time would likely go for Spellcaster, so that settles the concepts. Remember that you dont have to stick to these concepts to the T. You can make up your own, 'cause the only one that is truly important to have is a decker or a technomancer.

Cause there will be points in the game that you need someone who is proficient in hacking/entering the matrix, but even still you don't need a decker/technomancer concept, but just a character with similar abilities

Added a very basic background into the OP. All I need from you guys with regards to the background is how you managed to join the Red Circle. Everything else is up to you to decide!

Also, I already told Noia this but I might as well share with everyone: The first few adventures I'll be using premade ones with a few tweaks for them to fit the story I want to tell, but I won't introduce any overarching story until later on. I am, of course, not fully comfortable with the system yet and would like to get a better grasp on it before I start designing my own runs in order to tell a 'real' story.

PS: I promise to fill NPC names with references to Cyberpunk works from other forms of media. It's the least I can do.

Welp, that was like a math exam in slow motion

God save us if we'd actually tried to read up more on the Matrix/Magic rules

OKAY NO LONGER SHADOWRUN I AM RESKINNING THIS GAME INTO A DND CYBERPUNK GAME

- We will steal the Shadowrun setting though. So sixth world, Mega Corporations, 2075, but with DnD races.

- Martial, Arcane and Primal power sources remain the same. Divine power sources get changed into technological; meaning that a Cleric for example would use a droid to heal wounded targets instead of calling the gods to do it for him.

- Deities are irrelevant. Anything that requires you to worship a certain deity can be picked up without fulfilling that requirement.

- Religion gets reskinned into Science and Thievery covers Hacking
- When picking a class, you think of how to change it into a cyberpunk setting. A Bow Ranger, for example, could be reskinned into a sniper with the Greatbow weapon being reskinned into sniper rifles. Bladed weapons could be changed into plasma sabers or vibro blades.
- When reskinning weapons, you are free to reskin whatever weapon you are using into anything that makes sense. If you want something that doesn't fit into the DnD realm (like an full auto assault rifle), we'll think of a custom weapon that fits. 
- Reskinning armor would work as follows: Leather amor becomes Flak, Hide becomes Ballistic Weave, Chainmail becomes CNT-Fiber, Scale becomes Dragonskin and Plate becomes Ceramic Antiballistic Plate.

So sorry to have missed the session last night. I felt rather anaemic and so i went to sleep and when i woke up it was already night.

Also, hopefully Minah can survive any combat. I only armed her with 2 Pistols haha. I suppose Pistols will be replaced with weaker bows or something?

Also what about Minah's car and plane? O:

Oh wait, it seems more like i re-envision Minah using DnD concepts, rather than rote carrying over the items and stuff... Right?

Yes, re-envision her using DnD concepts. You'll also get to keep most of the stuff you have now, as long as I figure out how to transfer it to the DnD system.

For example, stuff like Augmentations won't give any actual benefits, but could still be carried over for RP purposes.

In that case do we still have to ensure we have a mix of Defender/Leader etcetera? Or is it freer in that regard?

As long as you have 1 Defender and 1 Leader everything else is pretty much up to you

Posting creation rules here for the sake of ease.

• Adventure starts at level 5, with a total of 5500 XP.
  • All Classes are allowed and you are allowed to reskin your own class. Meaning that essentially everyone will have a 'unique class'... I guess 'unique skin' would be a better description.
  • All PHB1 Races are allowed. Warforged (they'd be normal robots in this setting) and Drow are also allowed.
  • IC Eladrin, Elves and Drow will be treated as Elves and Dragonborn will be treated as 'Lizards'.
  • In my old group we always rolled for our Abilities, cause we thought that was more fun. Everyone can choose between using the standard point distribution or rolling for stats. When rolling for stats, we'll roll 5d6 and keep the highest three. On average you will be roughly equal or weaker to a PC rolled with the distribution method, but you also have the potential to be a lot more powerful. If you pick this method, there will be no do-overs!
  • Everyone gets 2 free Feats; Melee Training (x) and Y Expertise, with x being the relevant ability and Y being the relevant Weapon Group.
  • Everyone gets to pick 1 background; either Born Under a Bad Sign / Auspicious Birth (these let you use your highest score to determine your starting HP, instead of Constitution) or one of the backgrounds under the General tab.
  • Items: set your gold to level appropriate, which is 840gp. Everyone also gets 1 level 5 or lower Magic Item for free. You can pick whichever item you'd like for your free item. 

Also, with regards to character backgrounds, I need the following:

- Where did you learn what you know?

- What kind of lifestyle do you have? Mainly: What kind of house? What kind of (if any) vehicle?
- Why did you become a Runner?
- How did you get involved with Darren Connor and TRC?

If I did my sheet in the Character Builder in DayDreamer's account, I'll be able to share it with you, yes?

Yes, you can upload it to Orokos (which is the preferrable option) or send it to me directly on Skype

Looks good.

Also, when writing backgrounds and shit, use the 'Mannerisms and Appearance' tab for the reskinning stuff. 

Done.

Can't play this weekend though, have to go back to camp on Saturday night.