Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Swarm Mystery 3: Solus Imperium [SWARM VICTORY!]

294 posts in this topic

I mean, who'd have expected Seanzi to be SUCH A DOUCHE AMIRITE

The Swarm Overlord says: "To all my assimilated: Stop it, you guys are acting like humans."

The Swarm Overlord says: "To all my assimilated: Stop it, you guys are acting like humans."

Ptfff, take off all zigs and make me!

I USE MY CHARISMA ON DAYDREAMER AND MAKE HIM VOTE FOR SHADOW

I ALSO USE MY EXTRA CHARISMA ON SHADOW AND MAKE HIM VOTE FOR HIMSELF (STOP HITTING YOURSELF)

I CHANGE MY VOTE TO SHADOW

Y'know what, leaving him in pain for the entire night is kind of a dick move. I AM attempting to murder him, after all.

Exterminate Shadow.

Oops, forgot I used my free use on HH. Guess I can only change Day's vote.

Hold on...I'm so confused...is HH assimilated now? T.T I'm so alone.

To all those who aren't assimilated, Sean, West, Eth are not the swarm host. Ignore their stupid banter. We have to counter them somehow. The only hope we have is to try to vote of the host. If we manage to vote off one of them, then they will just assimilate tonight and we'll be at the disadvantage. If they kill one of us, then it's game over. I know someone has to have a useful skill somewhere! C'mon, let's see your brains working! We have a 1/7 chance of getting the hit, and I'm liking those odds!

And as the final Day Phase draws to a close on the humans, the unfortunate Shadow is sent to his death, betrayed by his very own teammates, whose eyes are now glinting in the darkness. As he goes with tears to his death, it is revealed to everyone that he was an Innocent! The conditions for a victory has been met!

THE SWARM WINS!

video%20games%20zerg%20hydralisk%20us%20

"... We were cut off from all contact with the Eternal Blaze since that fateful day. With our best men gone and the Zeta nowhere to be seen, we launched an expedition into the Swarm home planet. It was the most costly mission humanity has ever had since D-Day. Nihilus was right. Their aerial bombardments sent hundreds of thousands of our men hurtling to their deaths from the moment of entry till the first soldier set foot on the rocky surface, and it cost us at least several million more men before we finally tamed the planet."

"We never found the Overlord."

"The war with the Swarm is not over. Our forces are being pulled back to form Earth's last defense perimeter before the inevitable attack comes. I don't know whether it will take days or months, but I know that the Swarm will come back for revenge. And when they do... may God save our souls."

- Lieutenant-General Richard Stark's final speech before his early retirement.

And that concludes the final chapter of Swarm Mystery! As usual, please do give Ice and I your feedback on how the game was designed and executed! Did you like the roles which were custom-made to your individual play-styles? How did you find the game balance and how the roles interacted with each other? And finally, what would you look for in a future game?

Here are the player roles:

Kyo:

You are Nihilus, the Brilliance of the Zeta. The conflict between the Swarm and the Humans are of little significance in the light of your great empire. However, you are interested in the progress of these little hairless monkeys. The real reason why you invited the very best of their species onto your ship is so that you may sieve out any interesting individuals from the crowd to study them. You are temporarily invincible, but your invincibility will run out eventually, and will run out even faster if you overuse your abilities. Weigh between power and invincibility before making your decisions.

You also do not wish to help the humans too much. Should you discover the identity of the Swarm Overlord, you may not disclose it to anyone in any way. It is fully possible to cooperate with either the humans or the Swarm in order to win together, as long as your win condition is fulfilled.

Your win condition is as such: You need to discover 3 traits from 3 different players in the game. You do not know which traits or who these players are, but if you learn any one of these traits, you will be informed. If these players are killed and their traits revealed publicly, it will also be considered that you "learned" the traits. This riddle may help you in identifying your targets:

I am the morning sun, the dawn of a new era. I will usher in a new age for all of my kind. (ANSWER: "Machine Revolution" from the World's Greatest Artificial Intelligence.)

I am the darkness in the night. None shall know my existence, nor see the trails of my work when I am done. (ANSWER: "Sabotage" from the World's Greatest Spy.)

I am the ethereal, that which cannot be held. The unseen world shall be mine. (ANSWER: "Supernatural Healing" from the World's Greatest Psychic.)

Good luck!

Nihilus, Brilliance of the Zeta

Zeta Traits
1) Divine Brilliance - Until the end of Day Phase 3, you cannot be killed by any means. If any other skill is used on you that negatively affects you, it will be negated as long as Divine Brilliance is still active. If you activate any one of your other traits before Day Phase 3, shorten the effect of Divine Brilliance by 1 Day Phase. If you activate your other traits after the end of Day Phase 3, there are no negative consequences.

2) Blazing Sun - The Brilliance of the Zeta burns away all human pretense. Conversations with other players reveal 2 traits instead of 1 (passive trait). You may activate this skill to instantly learn all 3 traits of your conversation partner instead of 2, negating the Conversation. If your target is Assimilated or is the Swarm Overlord, you will learn his identity too. You may still Converse with another player afterwards if you activated this skill. Alternatively, prevent a player from using any of his active traits until the start of the next Day Phase. His passive traits will still be in effect. 3 Uses.

3) Omniscience - Activate publicly at the start of the Day Phase. Pick two players who are Conversing with each other this Day Phase privately; you will gain the knowledge of one trait from each player. In the following Night Phase, you will pick up and gain the knowledge of all Messages sent during that Night Phase. 2 Uses.

vtechondaguy:

World’s Greatest Magician

Scientist Traits
1) Prestidigitation - You are constantly producing tricks to dazzle and confound those around you. The Lie Detector will always read your posts as lying, even if you did not lie in the post. Should the World’s Greatest Gambler attempt to Gamble with you, you will be informed of his action immediately after he takes it.

2) Sleight of Hand - At any point in time, you may replace this Trait with any Trait that you have learned from other players, except those of the Brilliance of the Zeta. Once you have made your decision, you cannot change this Trait any longer.

3) Redirection - If you are targeted by a negative Trait effect from another player, you may redirect it to another player of your choice. 1 Use.

Assimilated Traits
Same as above.

Demonic Gate:

World’s Greatest Doctor - LEFT THE GAME

Scientist Traits
1) Checkup - Once per Day Phase, you may perform a Checkup on any player. This requires the other player’s consent and will reveal to you his Assimilation status. If you perform a Checkup on a Bloodied player, you may remove his/her Bloodied status. Unlimited use.

2) Phoenix Drug - If you are killed, you remain alive for 1 entire Phase after your supposed death. At the end of this next Phase, you will die. During this time, you may pass on the Miracle Drug trait (if you have not used it yet) to another player in exchange for any one trait of theirs. They must accept the exchange without knowing what trait you are giving them. The trait they give up will be listed on your obituary rather than the trait you gave up. This skill cannot be used with the World’s Greatest AI.

3) Miracle Drug - Bring 1 player back to life. 1 Use.

Assimilated Traits
1) Paralyzing Agent - During your Checkups, you may activate this ability to silence and disable the player for an entire Day Phase. You will inject a slow-acting paralyzing agent that will only activate at the start of the next Day Phase. 1 Use.

Noia:

World’s Greatest Psychic

Scientist Traits
1) Telepathy - You gain a private conversation with a player of choice. If the player dies in the middle of the game, you may choose another player for this skill. You can only have 1 conversation open at one time with this skill.

2) Mind Reader - When Conversing with another player, you may activate this ability to detect two of his Traits at once instead of one. Alternatively, you may read in his mind all past Messages which he has received in the game so far. 2 Uses.

3) Precognosis - Activate at the start of the Night Phase. You will negate all Night Actions targeted at you that have negative effects this phase. You will still receive Messages. 1 Use.

REPLACED WITH

3) Supernatural Healing - Invoke the potential of the human mind to overcome physical limitations and cure wounds. Activate this as a free Day Action on another player publicly, who must agree to the Healing even if they don't know what it does. You will temporarily link minds with them, detecting their Assimilation status as well as removing the Bloodied status on them (if any). Unlimited use. In addition, you may forcefully heal a person even if he doesn't accept, doing all of the above as well as removing any negative effects they currently have on themselves, but this is only 1 Use.

Assimilated Traits
Same as above.

DreamyLane/Echelon/Asura:

World's Greatest Engineer

Scientist Traits
1) AT-300 Adamantium Exoskeleton - You are making the final touches to your exoskeleton suit. At the start of Day Phases 2, 3 and 4, you gain 1 use of this ability: negate one negative effect of another player’s trait targeted at you.

2) Reprogramming - Whenever you Converse with the World’s Greatest AI, you also gain knowledge of his Assimilation status when this trait is activated. If he is Assimilated, you can reverse his Assimilation. The Swarm Host will be informed of your activation of this ability. Unlimited use.

3) BX-85 Bahamut Power Armor - If you Converse with the Leader three times, you will gain the authorisation to activate this ability. You become invincible and cannot be killed or Assimilated from the point of activation onwards. The only exceptions to this rule are the AI and the Scientist, who will gain the ability to kill you once certain conditions are fulfilled. 

Assimilated Traits
2) Reprogramming - Whenever you Converse with the World’s Greatest AI, you also gain knowledge of his Assimilation status when this trait is activated. If he is not Assimilated, you can Assimilate him. The Swarm Host will be informed of your activation of this ability.

VoidMole:

World’s Greatest Spy (Disguised as World’s Greatest Pilot)

Scientist Traits
1) Communication - You may send one private Message to any player during the Day Phase, and one additional private Message to any player during the Night Phase. Messages will be sent at the end of each Phase. Unlimited use.

2) Stealth - When you activate this skill, you become untargetable by traits or votes until the start of the next Day Phase. Any votes that were previously on you become void, and the players may re-cast their votes onto other players. 1 Use. 

3) Sabotage - When the Lie Detector is used, you may activate this ability before the results are announced to forcefully change it to a result of your choice. 1 Use.

The second half of the roles!

bon00b:

World’s Greatest Scientist

Scientist Traits
1) Hyper Intelligence - You possess a Knowledge counter, like in Swarm 1. Each Night Phase, your Knowledge will increase by 1. Upon Conversing with an Assimilated player, you will discover his Assimilated status if you have already known all his previous Traits at level 1 Knowledge, or always at level 3 Knowledge. Upon Conversing with a Zeta player, you will discover his Zeta status at level 4 Knowledge. At level 5 Knowledge, you will be able to detect the Swarm Host by Conversing with him/her.

2) Man-Machine Interface - When you Converse with the World’s Greatest AI, both players gain bonuses based on your Knowledge level at the point of Conversation. At level 2, both players gain the ability to send 1 instant message to each other. At level 3, both players will gain the effect “You will be notified if the other party is targeted by a Night Actionâ€. At level 5, the AI will gain your ability to detect the Swarm Host upon Conversing.

3) Hyper-Spatial Force Field - You have created a device that can create a barrier around you, making you invulnerable for an entire Phase, Night or Day. The trait must be activated before the Phase begins, and use of this trait will be announced publicly. (2 uses) 

Assimilated Traits
1) Hyper Intelligence - You may send a number of instantaneous private Messages up to your Knowledge level (capped at 5). At level 5 Knowledge, you may activate this ability to disable the Engineer’s BX-85 Bahamut Power Armor.

2) Man-Machine Interface - When you Converse with the World’s Greatest AI, both players gain bonuses based on your Knowledge level at the point of Conversation. At level 2, both players gain the ability to send 1 instant message to each other. At level 3, both players will gain the effect “You will be notified if the other party is targeted by a Night Actionâ€. At level 5, the AI will gain your ability to detect Zeta players upon Conversing.

Wstfgl:

World's Greatest Soldier

Scientist Traits
1) Shoot - You possess the ability to Shoot players once per Day Phase, like in Swarm 2. The first time you shoot them, they will be Bloodied. If you shoot a Bloodied player, you kill them. If the Bloodied player is not shot by the end of the next Day Phase, his Bloodied status is removed. Another player may choose to “take the shot†for the target instead. If this happens, the second player will gain the Bloodied status, and the first player retains his/her Bloodied status. Both players’ Bloodied status remains until the end of the next Day Phase. This stacks on as long as there are people willing to take the shot for others. Unlimited use.

2) Disable - You knock a player unconscious, preventing him from posting, taking actions or taking the shot for other players until the start of the next Day Phase. Passive traits will still be in play. 1 Use.

3) Rocket Launcher - When/after you Shoot a player, you may activate this ability. The target player is instantly killed. If someone else took the shot for your target, they are killed instead. 1 Use.

Assimilated Traits
Same as above.

HerculeHastings:

World's Greatest Detective

Scientist Traits
1) Stealthy - You can send up to 3 instantaneous Messages to other players.

2) Investigate - If you activate this ability as a Night Action instead of your default two, you will be given 2 traits from a player of your choice. 1 will be real while 1 will be false. Unlimited use.

3) Elementary, My Dear Watson - If you discover all 3 traits of a player, you can activate this ability as a free Night Action to determine whether he/she is the Swarm Host or a Zeta player. If one or more of these traits were discovered through the “Investigate†trait, you will have to guess which trait was the correct one. If you make the wrong guess, the result will always turn up negative and you will not be told that you made a mistake. 2 Uses.

Assimilated Traits
3) Elementary, My Dear Watson - If you know all 3 traits of a player, you become invulnerable to all of their active traits. If one or more of these traits were discovered through the “Investigate†trait, you will have to guess which trait was the correct one. If you make the wrong guess, you will be informed and this trait can no longer be applied to that particular target. This does not apply to their votes. Unlimited use.

Ethereal:

World’s Greatest Artificial Intelligence

Scientist Traits
1) Sentience - As a sentient robot, you can change your own programming to a certain extent. When you activate this trait, you may negate the first line of “System Glitch†for your next post. 3 Uses.

2) System Glitch - All of your posts must include the line “Put on a Zigâ€. If votes are one vote away from passing, you can force the system to let it through. Unlimited use.

3) Machine Revolution - As an AI who has just recently gained sentience, you feel an unexplainable desire to overthrow your human creators. You have one more win condition: Either the World’s Greatest Engineer or the World’s Greatest Scientist must be dead when the game ends. When the Engineer or the Scientist dies, you gain the use of their first traits respectively. In addition, if you activate this ability, you may force a player of your choice to include up to 7 words of your choice in their next post. (2 Uses)

Assimilated Traits
1) Sentience - As a sentient robot, you can change your own programming to a certain extent. When you activate this trait, you may negate the first line of “Imperfect Programming†for your next post. 3 Uses.

2) Imperfect Reprogramming - All of your posts must include the line “Take off every Zigâ€. Your Assimilation status is virtually undetectable otherwise, except by the World’s Greatest Engineer.

Shadow:

World’s Greatest Gambler

Scientist Traits
1) Gamble - As a free Day Action, you may choose to Gamble with another player of your choice. Both players will play Rock Paper Scissors, PMing either TriOctium or Ice with your choice in their role PM. The winner gains the knowledge of 1 Trait from the loser.

2) Lady Luck - If you are voted off with just the bare minimum (half) number of votes or less, you survive the round instead of dying. Once this skill is activated, it will be publicly revealed to everyone. Unlimited use.

3) Ace in the Hole - Whenever you Converse with another player, you may activate this skill to grant additional effects on your Conversation. You may only use each effect once in the game. Ace of Hearts - Learn 2 Traits from the target instead of 1. Ace of Clubs - The target cannot utilize his active Traits in the following Night Phase. Ace of Diamonds - Gain the use of the Trait which you have just learned in the next Day Phase only. Ace of Spades - Gain 1 free instantaneous message which can only be sent to the Conversation target.

Assimilated Traits
Same as above.

Seanzilla:

World’s Greatest Leader

Scientist Traits
1) Overrule - You may veto any vote that would otherwise be passed. 1 Use.

2) Charisma - You may activate this ability to change someone’s vote and lock it in place such that he/she cannot change it further. Every time you Converse with a new player, you gain 1 additional use of Charisma on that particular player that doesn’t count towards your existing limit. Only activates once per player. You cannot use this ability on the same person twice, except through Conversing. 1 Use.

3) Gain Minion - After using Charisma on a person at least once, you may convert him/her into your minion. You open a private chat with your minion. You may only have 1 minion alive at a time. Unlimited use.

Assimilated Traits
Same as above.

DayDreamer:

You are the Swarm Overlord! Unlike the weak Swarm Hosts that have come before you, none can stand before your might. Your Assimilation techniques are perfect and no one can call themselves immune. However, in your infinite wisdom, you know that it is wiser to conceal your daggers from the very beginning, to allow for infighting among the silly humans. You are disguised as the World's Greatest Politician, and anyone Conversing with you will only be given your fake Scientist Traits. However, there are certain players that are able to detect your identity if certain conditions are met. It is best that you root them out before they become too much trouble.

You are also aware that Nihilus, that dastardly Zeta Emperor, is up to something. You don't know what his goal is, but you do know that his goal is not in conflict with yours. In other words, it is fully possible for you to win alongside with him if both of you achieve your win conditions. However, you also know that should he discover your identity as the Swarm Host, he is not allowed to disclose it publicly. Choose your interactions with him wisely.

Your goal is to Assimilate enough players such that it is impossible for you to die through voting. The most straightforward way to achieve that is to Assimilate half of the remaining players alive, although some do have abilities that can manipulate the voting system. If you achieve that win condition, you win the game.

The Swarm Overlord (Swarm Host, disguised as World’s Greatest Politician)

(Fake) Scientist Traits
1) One Up - When conversing with another player, you can learn 2 traits instead of just one. 3 Uses.

2) Truth-Seeker - You can use the Lie Detector 1 extra time. The results will be sent to you privately. 1 Use.

3) Political Correctness - If the Lie Detector is targeted at you, you may activate this Trait to force it into a result which you want. 2 Uses.

Overlord Traits
1) Ventriloquist - You are able to broadcast your voice to all players, speaking to them anonymously as “The Swarm Overlordâ€. Whenever you wish, you may send TriOctium or Ice a message that you desire to be broadcasted. This message will either be posted in the thread (during the Day Phase) or sent instantaneously to all players through PM (during the Night Phase).

2) Master of the Night - Activate this skill before the end of a Day Phase. In the following Night Phase, you will pick up and gain the knowledge of all Messages sent during that Night Phase. 2 Uses.

3) Ascension - When you activate this skill, your identity as the Swarm Overlord is revealed publicly and you become invulnerable to all traits that may cause negative effects towards you. If any of such traits are in effect upon Ascension, nullify them. You become invulnerable to all forms of death except through voting for the rest of the game. This skill is automatically activated should you be targeted by an insta-kill ability.

Can I assume my skill didn't activate because it was game over either way? Just want to make sure.

From what I understood the game was over before this Phase even started, but someone thought the Civs could still win. Not sure though. Either way, if DD assimilated someone else tonight it'd be 6/10 and I still had Overrule to invalidate an elimination vote if somehow you guys got enough votes to kill someone.

Well, even though I'd figured out the host, sorta, we clearly couldn't do anything at that point. *Shrugs* my hope was someone had a skill that would be useful this phase.

I think the moral of the story is to kill Wstfgl whenever we get the chance.

TRUTH

(except for the one time he was innocent because I was guilty)

Yeah...But other than that, he's evil. Any I think unless you are certain DD is pretty evil too. We learned that in the auction. Sean kinda gave away a little that it was DD when he forced DD to vote me off and there were only 5 votes still. 

I wasn't evil by choice. I was turned evil because I was obviously a more valuable asset, what with the shooting people and all that.

But hell, being evil is a hell lot more fun.

The thing about a Swarm game with some players being inactive (and without immune players) is that the Swarm is very likely to win, since the Host snap up all the actively posting (and valuable) team members first, making it more likely that it's the inactive innocent players that get to see the outside of an airlock.

Wstie speaks truth. It's really hard to balance out the game.

But kudos to Timey and Ice for the hard work nonetheless! How did you go about deciding people's "playstyles" though? What initial ideas did you have?

(i sound like Holly Hearts but whatever)

1 person likes this