Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Swarm Mystery 3: Solus Imperium [SWARM VICTORY!]

294 posts in this topic

The original iteration of Swarm 3 was to have all of you play as Diplomats from various countries at a world summit. Obviously if we had gone with that the game wouldn't have been as interesting. XD

We guessed people's playstyles by observing what they liked to do in previous Mafia games, and what seemed to interest them the most. Once we knew what that was then we centered their character idea around that concept or playstyle. For example, Wst liked randomly shooting people for no reason, so we gave him an unlimited Shoot ability (but of course, had to balance it).

As usual, please do give Ice and I your feedback on how the game was designed and executed! Did you like the roles which were custom-made to your individual play-styles? How did you find the game balance and how the roles interacted with each other? And finally, what would you look for in a future game?

The thing about a Swarm game with some players being inactive (and without immune players) is that the Swarm is very likely to win, since the Host snap up all the actively posting (and valuable) team members first, making it more likely that it's the inactive innocent players that get to see the outside of an airlock.

The thing also is it was not a conscious decision for me to get the active people first. I just went for people's roles. I knew the Leader would likely be the sort to manipulate actions. I hoped the AI might also have some actions like the stun I had when I was the AI. And then of course I knew the Soldier would have the insta-kill abilities I was told that I'm immune to.

Of course by that point it was then obvious that there was no point assimilating anyone inactive, even though there were some concerning roles left.

Well, even though I'd figured out the host, sorta, we clearly couldn't do anything at that point. *Shrugs* my hope was someone had a skill that would be useful this phase.

That was basically my whole plan. To take all the useful and manipulative roles so that by the time I was discovered nobody would be able to do anything to stop me. I let the investigative roles go, knowing it was likely they would need several turns themselves to be able to identify me.

Fortunately it worked out, with Sean and Wst's abilities, that my victory could be secured faster than usual, as they killed off extra people on top of my assimilations, accelerating the process by a day or two.

I dunno how well my role fit me. I mean the ability to taunt people anonymously was nice. But I do normally tend to talk and post a lot in the thread, but being the villain meant it was best to just not talk unless attention was already on me. And for most of the game it wasn't, so I basically couldn't post because it would be an unnecessary risk. And then of course the same was likely true for the assimilated. I imagine Sean might have said more if he remained innocent and was trying to win, since as assimilated I'm sure he saw too that we didn't need to say or do anything for most of the game. And then of course Eth's abilities forced him to become more silent after he was assimilated.

So my feedback is in future there should be things that encourage talking and activity, rather than these things that discourage it. Because if nobody is talking, people just get bored and demoralized that nobody is helping or doing anything.

So my feedback is in future there should be things that encourage talking and activity, rather than these things that discourage it. Because if nobody is talking, people just get bored and demoralized that nobody is helping or doing anything.

Hm yes, that is something that we noted. I'll think of roles that encourage activity in the next game.

(This comment is not aimed specifically at this Swarm game)

I've always been the support/healing/forever-in-the-good-guy camp type in like literally every single mafia game that ever existed in this site.

To the future badguy/host: Plz recruit me next time. Lemme tour the cool club :(

To fellow innocents: I have a flawless track record as a good guy, trust me as a news source :)

Point noted

(In my next game Noia will be the Swarm Host-equivalent. YOU GUYS KNOW WHAT TO DO)

KILL NOIA.

BUT KILL WSTFGL FIRST.

(also I would totally have Assimilated Noia in Swarm 1 right from the start, but then she had to be immune. Octy can attest that I Stalked her on Night Phase 1.)

Yes, that happened. She had a crush on Noia back then.

I had no idea eating junk food every day would give General (I forgot my title ooops) Noia such a killer immune system ):

I believe Noia's title in Swarm 1 was some sidekick thing.

Either way i don't think i played the Detective as well as i could have. I didn't use my first ability at all cuz i didn't trust anyone. ):

You could trust vtechhondaguy, he clearly had the right idea!

Except for the whole "trying to vote after lights out" thing.

1 person likes this

Noia the Unwitting Hitchhiker and Saver of Humens

john_freeman_statue___saver_of_humens_by

Noia was my lover in game one.

BACK OFF

Also yeah, once I became assimilated I just went silent, save for the occasional snarky remark. Also, guys, I was also turned into a Zeta, but I didn't really care about that so I still have no idea how or why that happened

To balance the game we decided to give Kyo an assistant after Day Phase 1 ended. Basically, Sanzi sold himself to the Zeta in exchange for power and riches. Unfortunately Sanzi got Assimilated shortly after so he wasn't much of a Zeta minion XD

I was wondering about that when one of the assimilated told me of someone's abilities and there was something about plural Zeta. Which is why I reached out to Kyo near the end - I was concerned he was able to turn people to his side too, and that perhaps some of my own assimilated may have turned into his, and so my victory may not have been assured if he decided to go against me and pull my numbers out from under me.

You gave him the worst possible assisstant though. Even if I hadn't been assimilated that same phase I wouldn't have put much effort into finding the traits. I'd just spend my time conversing once with everyone so I could Charisma them