Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Shadow

Ghost in the System

31 posts in this topic

Ghost in the System

In the year2021, Neigel Hassen, creator of the virtual reality game Seraphim, created the first plausible augmented reality device in the form of big clunky goggles. Using cameras that film constantly in real time and feed connections to the goggles, the program creates a real time copy of reality and projects it through the lenses. Other programs are used in combination to create virtual objects that work in real time as well.

This system was a great break through and was named God Vision. Over the course of a decade with much research, experimentation, and investment, the program was set up for to run in all across the world. Cameras placed in cities, and programs installed in already created cameras to spread the augmented reality to the public. June 3, 2031, God Vision went live and swept the world away with its revolutionary system. All across the globe people bought the now sleek model glasses and goggles to use. Schools, homes, private and public; God Vision became a necessity.

Children and teens took to it the easiest and quickly became attached to the system, using it for things like games, exploiting bugs and glitches for fun, creating programs to run alongside it to both help and hinder others. It was a great success. After several more years, the God Vision system began to grow weaker. Rumors began to spread about strange glitches in the system and several unexplained incidents occurred with people falling unconscious while using GV.  To disperse any rumors of the God Vision system being dangerous, the company used the obvious compatibility issues as an excuse to upgrade. With advances in technology, the servers worldwide underwent maintenance for a week as God Send was installed over the original God Vision to solve the problems.

2037, and the world is continuing on just as always using God Send. On many forums popular among younger people though, rumors about a ghost in the system linger. The familiar legend of the God Eater floats around. Though widely dismissed as impossible, a fairy tale, or a simple legend, what is the truth?

Overview

Your basic ghost in the system story line. Mysterious rumors revolving around dangerous self-programming AI in augmented reality that lives in the program and causes people harm. A group of teens gets interested after hearing about the rumors and decide to take action. They then begin to search for the truth behind the legend and become detectives. They use skills that aren't widely known to exploit the system: hacking, glitches and bugs in the programming, black market items.They fight against the established system in this manner to find the secrets hidden away and uncover the truth.

:Terminology:

GV- This stands for the original version of augmented reality, God Vision.

GS- The current version of augmented reality, God Send.

Mods/God’s Eye- These are AI created by Seraphim CO. to manage the server real time. They handle things like bugs and glitches in the programming, usually appearing where out dated programming, or glitched/bugged space exists.

Admin/Hand of God- These are AI created to maintain the laws of augmented reality. They can’t enter private areas, school zones, and other places. They appear where people are attacking the system. (Rumored to have been created to handle God Eater, but never confirmed)

Other stuff TBA?

So, any takers on this here idea?

Awesome! I'm looking for maybe 3-5 people total on this one so we can have a diverse group who "play the game". I'm, of course, going to be playing a character who learned the secret techniques of hacking. ^.^ 

Awesome. With all the carnival stuff, swarm, and socerers II I'm going to leave this open maybe until the end of the week to see if we get any more interest. Glad to have you aboard Kikuishi. (I like that name more than the first XD)

When I think about the idea I have, it's kinda like the Persona 4 Animation if that give anyone ideas.

Black Market Item- Items bought with the virtual currently Zilech, Zill for short. These items can range from virtual lasers, to shields, to swords, to mini-guns. Just about anything that can be programmed into the system, but all BMI have limited use. Ex: A laser can only fire for 10 seconds. A sword will run out of durability. Shields will break. All items can be recharged, but it costs Zill of course. These items themselves, if handled properly, do not alert Mods or Admins. Their effects can though.

Augmented Warrior- AW for short, augmented Warriors are people who purchase BMI to fight either the system or rival gangs. Although not illegal, the AW and AR(augmented reality) gangs are closely monitored. ~Common

Hacker- An individual who has advanced knowledge of programming, and basic knowledge of GS. Unlike Encoders, Hackers can only hack the system, rather than manipulate it with their mind. They can use physical glyphs and typed programming to hack the system. Hackers do not require "The Surgery" (this refers to being dependent of AR for various reasons) and thus occur more frequently, but not as often as AW. Hackers can also use BMI, where as Encoders cannot. ~Not common

Entropy Encoded Entity- Encoder for short. An individual who has advanced knowledge of programming, GS, and has had "The Surgery". They can break into the system to program to their hearts desire using the technical language of GS through their minds, physical means, or virtual means. Ex: typing out programming. Using the mind to envision the results. Drawing the coded glyphs on walls. The existence of Encoders are something like an urban legend, though there are numerous people with the title. Hacking is an invasion of the GS system and will quickly invoke Admins to the area to handle the problem. ~Rare

*Note: Though Encoders are more powerful in a sense, because of their dependency of AR, if and Admin destroys their AR gear it can kill the Encoder, which is not illegal since their existence is classified. (They will attack with various virtual attacks that, if hit, will scramble the data to a certain extent, and will eventually erase the data. It costs money to restore the gear from the Black Market, or you buy new glasses all together) 

Well that's good. I was worried that adding these kinds of things would turn you guys away from it. This is a rather detailed world and idea, so I wasn't sure how well it would be received. Since they are rather irrelevant, I'm not going to include the AR gangs here, but feel free to come up with a gang name and have your character a part of it.

Here is a template for you guys. My character might take a while, but ya know. AR style the things like Encoder and AW. ^.^

Name:

Gang:

Appearance:

AR Style:

Personality:

History:

You cool if I have two characters? I was thinking of having something along the lines of a main dude that I'll be running around as for the most part and an Oracle like character in their ear to lend a hand where necessary.

I can only imagine a black market information broker when you say oracle in this situation. (just finished hamatora) XD If you make him something like that then I'm fine with it, so long as he is a normal person ^.^ I'm torn on whether I want to be a Hacker or Encoder. Leaning more toward the latter due to speed operations. And of course there is the name and gender too x.x Man making a character is so ridiculous when you have exhausted your supply of muse. 3.3

So I have a question guys. I made a character, but I don't know if I want him to be the Encoder or not. Since Encoders are kind of a secret thing, I feel like him being friends with people and actively doing stuff kinda defeats the purpose of it being secret. So I wanted to know what you thought. 

A.) Should I make an encoder that is a recluse and secretly works on the stuff until finding the others and have the main guy just a hacker. 

B.) Should I have him stay as is with friends and stuff claiming he's just a hacker while he tries to hide the truth from his friends.

C.) I had a C, but can't seem to remember it. >.>

Name: Andy R. Missinger

Gang: Currently unaligned.

Appearance:

AR Style: Entropy Encoded Entity

Personality: decisive, a natural leader, always looking for something new, an intelligent trouble maker

History: Andy was born to the average family and led an average life for the most part. However, at the age of 12, he was in a “car accidentâ€. He fell into a coma for several weeks and doctors could only attribute it to the brain damage. His body showed little sign of injury otherwise. In panic, his parents authorized an operation using AR in an attempt to wake him from the coma. The operation was successful in bringing him back, but he’d lost a large portion of memories from before then, and was also permanently linked to the GS AR system. This knowledge was wiped from records and though he and his parents weren’t give specifics, they knew that he was now dependent on the system.

Andy began going by Raife after that incident and became an Encoder, using the system as new playground to enjoy. Raife is now a junior in high school with friends just as any other person. He keeps his true nature as an Encoder hidden and simply says he’s a hacker.

I like the idea of him being the exception to the rule; the rule being that Encoders are generally loners. Since Andy was upgraded due to an accident and not by is own choice, it would make sense that he would want to continue his life as normal with the added bonus of being able to manipulate the system.

Also, my characters should be up relatively soon.

All right then. I'll go hunt down an image for him and keep the guy like this then. Just a note, I considered making it japanese based, but decided against it and instead placed it within a make believe reality. So all through most of the events will occur within this single town, pretty much everything about the world is fabricated based on the real world. ^.^

Here's the main character I will be using;

Name: Connor Yewan

Nickname: Swift

Gang: Storm Raiders - By affiliation only, Connor rarely spends time with or helps the gang.

Appearance: Connor stands at an average height and is considered skinny by most people. He has chin length dirty blonde hair that he pulls back into a short ponytail, but leaves a clump free at the front that hangs free on the left side of his face; his eyes are a dark green. Connor favours long sleeved shirts with the cuffs undone and the top three or four buttons loose. He sticks to blue jeans fastened at the waist by his favourite red belt and lightweight black boots. Fastened around his left wrist is a clasp-type bracelet with tribal patterns and a number of wooden bangles hang around his right wrist.

AR Style: Augmented Warrior

Personality: Carefree and somewhat lazy, Connor has an optimistic view on the world and the people he meets. He considers all he meets as friends, despite their personal views, and likes to watch and listen to them complaining or moaning about it.

History: Connor's live has been rather uneventful in the excitement factor; his father died of a heart attack when he was 10 years old and his mother did a pretty good job raising him. Despite this fact, when Connor went to school he rarely attended class and when he did, he was mostly asleep. When he was 17 years old, Connor moved out of his Mother's house secretly and into a small flat with a classmate from school called Sarah. They lived together until a month ago when she was killed in a hit and run incident; Connor continues to work in a book store and now lives alone in the flat.

Also, just a quick question; the currency for GS is Zill, how does a person obtain Zill?

Zill isn't a legal currency, but there are several way to get it. A.) the first and most common way is to exchange legal tender for Zill. This can be done either in person or over the net with the Black Market Bank. Using the Yen system because it has 1-10000, Zill usualy runs at a 1-2 ratio in the currency economy. 

B.) To accept jobs that pay in Zill rather than Yen. Most gangs will opt for this because it saves them spending money they need to live. 

C.) Collect data fragments. These usually form in the shape of poker chips of various color, weight, size, and of course, value. Data fragments only began appearing after GS went into effect. Supposedly they are a result of some thing or someone breaking the system in a weak point. These are used to make Black Market Item since they register as legal parts of the system and don't require hacking to make the fragments into BMI. 

If you need, I'll explain the last part more. I have to run now though.

Could probably use some work, but here she is for now.  I did have a question though? Could she remain unaffiliated and work as some kind of mercenary/assassin for hire for the gangs. Just a thought. :)

Name: Hannah Sophia

Gang: Unaffiliated

Appearance: Hannah is a petite brunette girl, with a mischievous smile. She typically pulls her long hair into a high pony tail to keep it off of her face and out of her blue eyes. She prefers to wear bulky sweaters and floral printed skirts and dresses, typical hipster apparel.

AR Style: Augmented Warrior

Personality: Opinionated and strong willed, which leads her to being a bit abrasive and kind of a loner. She is mischievous though and thrills in causing mayhem in the lives of those around her. If you do manage to befriend her, she is fiercely loyal to those she cares about.

History: Hannah is the only child to her two rather wealthy parents. Her parents have busy careers, and do not have a whole lot of time for her. Yes, the bored rich kid trope. She has a lot of freedom, but still manages to keep her life in order. Hannah actually enjoys attending school and sitting in class, she has an unexpected thirst for knowledge. But when school is out, the world is her playground.

Kay, so one really important question for you peeps. Are they all friends from the start? depending on the answer will determine the plot of course. In my original thoughts I had them all as friends from the start, like a group. However PLEASE don't let that persuade your opinion of how you want to be known. ^.^

Gosh this is interesting. I don't think I could pull it off though ~

Well, I didn't close the RP yet. IF you want to join, you should make up your mind quickly. I'll close it tomorrow nightish my time. Not to pressure you, but I didn't really think anyone else would join so I didn't close it. 

However, if you think you can and want to do it, feel free to. It would probably work well with 3-5 people, so 4 wouldn't be a problem. (^.^)b

Your answers on Zill make sense, no further questions on the subject from me. On another note, regarding whether our characters our friends to begin with, I would probably say not going by our personalities and histories. That being said, it wouldn't be too much of a stretch of our imagination to create this friendship within the first or second post. Then the relationship between our characters can develop as they chase this rumour through the system (or whatever direction the story takes exactly.)

Glad I could make sense for once =P ^.^ Well, I strategically place my character in a way where he has reason to hunt for the God Eater. Since we are all in school, we can just use that as the reason why they can meet up easier if need be. It's how the rumor spreads too. So as it stands Raife and Connor won't be friends from the start. ^.^

Also, about your character request Talon, Careful what you call it. You can't "Kill" someone with AR or BMI, but you can be something like a hitman/spy. Get information, target people and groups with AR gear. I feel like I mentioned it somewhere, but since I can't find it easily I'll say it again here. 

When someone with AR gear gets his by either mod/admin attack, or a BMI, depending on what kind of attack and how much damage is actually taken, it damages the programming and data of the gear itself. So if you are hit by a laser for a brief moment say, it wouldn't be too much damage and a simple reboot might fix it. If you get hit my some bullets, and power blast, and maybe a small explosion, it will cause a lot more damage. Based on how much damage you take, the BM will give you a one use repair that has to be bought using Zill. Basically, if your gear gets wrecked, it costs an amount of Zill relative to the damage. 

I probably won't be able to apply by then, but it's definitely a great idea. Just wanted to let you know. ^^

1 person likes this

Yeah, I didn't think you could kill someone. But you got where I was going with it. I'll edit/add accordingly. :)

And my character may or may not be friends with any of them. She doesn't have a lot of friends. But I could see her being friends with either or both of them if we want to start with that.

Before I forget again...This RP is now Closed.

Well I leave that choice up to you, but I'll have to know where everyone stands before I start the RP off.

Well, from my characters point of view, I'd say he is probably friends with Shadow's Character (by the sheer fact it's likely they would have talked at some point in time) but not with Talon's.

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0