Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean's Monthly Manga Club #3: Magi

34 posts in this topic

Sean’s Monthly Manga Club #3 from 16/07 until 13/08:

Magi

(Also known as Magi - The Labyrinth of Magic)

Chapters: 231 (and ongoing), but we are reading until 198.

Completed: Yes

Genres: Action, Adventure, Comedy, Drama,  Fantasy, Mystery, Romance, Shounen, Tragedy

Demographic: Shounen

Personal rating: 8 out of 10

Description: In a world similar to that of Scheherezade's tales, a mysterious young boy named Aladdin drifts from place to place with his djinn Ugo. Ugo lives inside a golden recorder, and Aladdin is on the hunt for his true container, “The Djinn's Metal Vessel.†One day he encounters Alibaba, a poor lad determined to enter one of the mysterious Dungeons that popped up a decade ago in order to make his fortune. Thus the the two begin their adventure in a Persia that never was...

Why you should read this manga: Magi offers a nice change of settings; it doesn’t take place in Japan or in what the Japanese think the west looks like.The characters are fun, the story is interesting and their powers are pretty sweet.

Why you shouldn’t read this manga: While it deals with some heavy themes, it is generally light hearted, which might be annoying to some people? I know I had trouble getting into it until a certain character made its appearance.

Weekly discussion starting points:

Chapters 1 to 48 on 23/07

Chapters 49 to 98 on 30/07

Chapters 99 to 149 on 06/08

Chapters 150 to the 198 (end of the arc) on 13/08

Remember; you are free to read ahead, but don’t post any spoilers to events that have yet to happen!

Gonna have to build a time machine to read that final chapter in time.

1 person likes this

Everyone finished Psyren in the first week, I figured this wouldn't be too bad :x

But the last chapter is due to be finished two days ago...

Haha adorable. I'll try to keep up with this one but no promises :x

Everyone finished Psyren in the first week, I figured this wouldn't be too bad :x

I see...

Well i won't be joining this one since the last one was already overwhelming for me. I would just like to urge everyone to listen to SID while reading this. >.>

If it is too much for you, we could add 2 extra weeks? Would make the loud roughly 33 chapters per week (which is slightly less than Psyren.)

Oh that's really nice of you, and i'm very tempted to accept the offer, but sadly school's starting once work ends, and i haven't been spending enough time with dayday lately (we haven't even started on Tokyo Ghoul, for one), so i'm afraid i should scale back on this.

Really appreciate the gesture though. And in return i can finally join in conversations about Tokyo Ghoul. Maybe. XD

This manga has a childishly perverse sense of humour. I like it.

Well, there are a few minor differences, but nothing important.

Just finished reading Magi. The plot really picks up at the end :O

Okay, slightly late, but this part of the manga club has come to an end. Sadly I didn't prepare any questions though. So for now I'll just ask about everyone's first impressions and their favourite characters~

I think it's really cute, but it's not all fluff either, which I personally appreciate. Chibi Aladdin seems to have a really complex, secret history, but I think that so far, I like Alibaba the most. He's rather mysterious himself, though it seems likely at this point that he'll defeat his half-brother's army with his rebels and--

OH WAIT NO. I like Sinbad the best. xDDDDDD

/another Oboro?

--take the throne for himself and help fix his country and whatever. Maybe have his adoptive brother run it while he runs off with Aladdin. :p

I love Sinbad, but Alibaba is definitely the best-

OH NO WAIT MORGIANA BEST GIRL

(for now)

I really liked the whole dungeon-clearing premise in Magi. Gives it a RPG feel. (Arabian Nights DnD anyone?)

And the parts where Alibaba still struggles to use his Djinn properly even after obtaining Amon is good story-writing. In fact the underdog feel is pretty well sustained throughout, even if you know that the good guys will always win in the end.

Lol. New theme for Sean's next RPG!

Haha, yeah. I didn't think Alibaba would become a recurring character, tbh. I mean, he was just a caravan driver. :p

Seems like everyone is dying in Ondorin today, so I'll definitely make my next on Arabian Nights themed~