Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
TriOctium

Shadows of Chandur [OPEN Mini-RP]

66 posts in this topic

Shadows of Chandur

A Miniature RP hosted by TriOctium

Rules of Mini-RPs

• No character sheets, no indication of interest required. If you like the story, just jump in with any character you wish!
  • There will be no OOC thread for this RP. All OOC chat will be enclosed in square boxes [like this] either before or after your IC post.
  • If your character dies, you may enter with another character at any time.
  • RP posts are limited to a maximum of 300 words for Graduates only. Students can write as long as they wish. This is to encourage shorter and more frequent posts!
  • For Students, posts below 300 words cannot be used as part of your Graduation attempt.
  • The plot of the story will be unraveled by the host of the mini-RP, who will be directing NPCs and enemies according to the scenario.
  • Post often and have fun!

The Story So Far

Chandur is a peaceful, medieval land filled with humans, elves, dwarves, dragonborn and other mythical races, all living in harmony. However, the peace was broken ten years ago when Balthur the Nefarious, a dark and powerful wizard, marched forth from the Northern Wastes with an army of enslaved orcs and dragons, conquering Chandur by force and turning it into a dark and dreary place. Since then, no one has been able to oppose Balthur's reign. Recently, a prophecy has arisen, that a group of brave men and women would arise, wielding legendary weapons of magic and might, to bring down Balthur's tyrannical rule once and for all, and restore balance to Chandur!

Are you one of these legendary heroes?

The town of Nottingham was a quaint little place, mostly populated by humans and elves who had been driven out of their homes further north when the dragon Graven descended from the skies. Ever since Balthur rose to power, the skies have perpetually been beset by huge, dark thunderclouds, barely letting any sunlight through for as long as anyone could remember. Under the influence of the gloomy atmosphere, the citizens of Nottingham shuffled here and there in silence, simply attending to their various chores of the day.

Kote, the owner of the local inn, could be included in one of these seemingly lifeless individuals. With a tired gesture, he put up a piece of parchment on the noticeboard in the town square, gave it a look, and turned to walk back to his pub. The parchment read:

HELP NEEDED!

Locals have reported an outbreak of wolves in the vicinity of the town.

Adventurers willing to dispatch of these wolves will be handsomely

rewarded by the town mayor.

Approach Kote for more details.

{I'll take up this one then ^.^}

Meis and Aria had just blown into Nottingham that morning. It was merely a short stop on their journey, but running low on funds, they were forced to stop for work. Meis, carried his pack and Katana at his side, Aria carrying her pack and staying close to him as they passed through the seeming ghost town. "I don't like the look of this town. How long are we going to be staying here," She asked warily. 

"It's just the influence of Balthur reaching the out. We'll only be here for a day hopefully," Meis assured her as he looked around at the building, very few people out on the streets. 

Both him and Aria could feel the multitude of gazes watching them from hiding places, as if they carried the plague and being within ten feet would sentence you to death by pestilence. Aria's hairs stood on end as they walked through both of them looking at the signs on the various buildings until they came upon the hanging sign that read "Kote Inn". Meis pushed open the almost ancient door and entered, Aria right behind him as he moved to the counter where someone sat reading something, his eyes hollow from the inside out. "Excuse me. I'd like a cheap room just until tomorrow morning," Meis said reaching in his pack and pulling out a pouch that held his coins.

"Also, if you wouldn't mind, do you know of any paying jobs I could do while I'm in town? I figure you might know something as an Inn keeper," Meis asked without so much as a smile.

Aria popped her head from behind Meis and said with a young voice and bright smile, "We're running short on funds, so we'd really appreciate it."

On the southern side of Nottingham, a boy sat on a slope covered in thick vegetation. He was looking at himself with a mirror in his left hand, arranging his hair with a comb in his right. Ever since the thunder clouds appeared, he may have been the only one, including the girls, who felt he could afford to take good care of his hair. But it was only natural to him. 

"Haus." A voice interrupted, causing him to pause mid-grooming. The voice was distorted and low, in a cold whisper at only Haus could hear. He groaned, reaching back to pull his great sword out of it's sheath, laying it on his lap. The sword shone green, even though there was little sunlight. The voice waited for no response. "Go to the square. Make yourself useful." 

Again, without a response, Haus sheathed the sword. He took off on the short walk to the town square. As the walked, the sword shook inside it's sheath, speaking again.

"And one last thing, boy." The muffled voice cooed. "I'm hungry." Haus simply grunted in reply.

Once he had arrived at the square, Haus skimmed over the noticeboard, only stopping as his eyes caught the word "handsomely". One of his favourite words. He barely took the time to read the rest of the parchment before rushing into the Inn. "Ko-te!" Haus called to the harried innkeeper. He strode forward, resting both hands on the pub counter. "How much for the heads 'a those wolves?"

Marok was in his backyard, practicing with his daggers on some practice dummies. He had been practicing for the past hour and a half, and decided it was time for a break. "I'm getting a bit peckish..." He said to himself, as he sheathed his daggers. He went over to the kitchen, and realized he ran out of bread. "Gah..." He had to go into the market to get some. He got to the stand, and told the person running it that he wanted 3 loaves of bread.

"That'll be 4 gold coins." Marok handed him the money, and started walking back to his home, when he noticed a new paper on the notice board. Under his breath he read the sign. "Adventurers willing to dispatch of these wolves will be payed handsomely? Well, I could use the money..."

He ran home, ate lunch, and went to the inn. He had seen the 3 others already there, so he decided to wait for them to finish. Perhaps they're going to try and dispell the wolves too...

Nottingham had been a quiet town, but the coming of the thunderclouds had brought dark portents. Crops wilted in the fields, starved to death by the oppressive gloom. Villagers huddled in their houses in fear, quaking in their beds as wolves howled in the dark. Mothers kept their children close, fearing they would vanish should they look away even for a moment.

Worst of all, strange Oriental men had wandered into town to steal the jobs of honest, hardworking locals.

"Wolves, huh. To think that the people here would live in fear of mere beasts. Do you not think this task beneath us?" The Oriental, a tall, narrow-eyed young man wearing a curious set of baggy red-and-white clothing, said to himself as he scrutinized the note on the town square's notice board.

ORAORA!

The man sighed, putting a palm to his face. "I had thought it wise to summon the mightiest of Shikigami as my companion in this blighted land.... However, I sometimes feel that I should have sprung for one that was at least a decent conversation partner."

ORAORAORA/

ORAORAORAO-

"That first line was six syllables. You're hopeless." the man muttered, before reaching into his sleeve and producing a coin purse, which barely made a noise when he shook it. Opening it, he found to his chagrin that his net worth in Barbarian Country amounted to two bent nickels. "... To think that this is the depth that the great Abe no Takakazu has fallen to. Beneath me it may be to slay mere beasts, but I'd rather be 'handsomely rewarded' by barbarian standards than to honorably starve to death."

ORA!

"Oh yes, rubbing it in, aren't you?" Takakazu grumbled to himself, ignoring the strange stares aimed in his direction as he entered Kote's inn.

Kote watched as the various individuals entered the Waystone Inn, absentmindedly rubbing a dirty rag against a glass which only served to make it greasier. First he eyed the duo that asked for a room, sizing them up before responding. "Two beds will cost ya 5 silver," he grunted. "If ya squeeze in one that'll be 3."

The second voice drew Kote's attention, and his brow wrinkled in annoyance. "My name is Kote, not Ko-te. It's ten silver pieces per head, and don't expect anyone come savin' ya if you get killed out there."

The other two newcomers didn't speak, so Kote simply gestured to the barmaid who hurried up next to them. She was a young lass who couldn't be older than 20, wearing a blue dress and a grimy apron. "Can I get you gentlemen some beer? Or perhaps something to eat?"

Meis pulled open his pouch and glanced at the contents, already knowing very well what remained in his possession. "A room for one will do, right Aria?" Meis asked her, flatly.

The girl who looked to be no more than a preteen nodded vigorously, her red hair bouncing around. Meis handed off the six silver pieces to the inn keeper and took the key from him, a simple nod to thank him. Meis stepped aside, keeping Aria at his side before speaking to the boy who's chirped up behind him. "I'm not too sure what you are talking about, but if it's money, I'd be willing to help out if you don't mind sharing the profits," he said with his best attempt at friendly he could manage.

Aria looked at the other two who'd come in with curiosity, her bright eyes watching as the barmaid tended to them, but not interrupting Meis as he handled business as always.

[i really like this idea for RP style. Good job Taco!]

"Hmm? Oh, I've already ate, and I don't drink often, so I'll pass." He told the barmaid. "I was more interested in the thing with the wolves. I was just waiting for those two to finish speaking to Kote." He looked over at Aria, and grinned. Marok himself wasn't that old either. He was only 15, but he's been able to live by himself since his mother had died when he was only 13.

When Kote walked back over, he asked him, "So, where're these wolves at? I could use the money, and I'm fairly skilled with a dagger..."

A woman had wandered over and asked Takakazu what he wanted, but regrettably, he had to decline with a shake of his head. While he had prepared for his journey by secreting a fair amount of Takarada-yen within hidden compartments in his clothing, the barbarians here had seemingly no understanding of the value of paper currency, instead choosing to deal in grimy coins with the approximate precious metal content of seawater. A travesty. But don't they say that when you're in Takayama, you do as the Takayamans do?

The innkeeper was offering 10 silver pieces for a wolf head, which Takakazu understood to be a fairly generous sum. It seemed that several other adventurers wanted a cut of the spoils, though -- it displeased him that there would be competition, but he'd just have to tolerate them. He was an Abe, and those of his pedigree had no business picking fights with barbarians over money. So, he contented himself with listening to what Kote had to say.

Haus placed a hand on his hip, which jutted slightly out of his skinny body. The shortage of food had taken it's toll on him- even if he preferred not to show it. "I appreciate your concern," Haus chuckled. "but I won't need any saving. I am the Haus, after all." He threw his head up triumphantly, his neatly placed hair bouncing from his head as he did. He whistled through his teeth, quickly forgetting his glorious display to pull out a comb fix his hair once more.

Haus straightened up and cleared his throat, turning his head to the man in front of him. "Wolves, just outside the town. More of a nuisance than anything, howlin' all night." He answered, shrugging to himself with a smile. "I'd be happy to bring you along, though. What's your name?"

He pointed a finger at the girl who was clinging to his side. "And what about her? Will she be coming along?" Haus questioned with a raised eyebrow.

[Glad you like it Shadow!]

"Best you go in a group," Kote grunted again, pulling out a crude map from under the bar as he handed it over to Marok. "Some of you don't look old enough ta' be holding a sword in the first place... But what do I know, eh? I'm just an old, tired innkeeper. If you leave through the north gate of town, you'll find the woods in about an hour's walk. From there it's up to you to track down the wolves and bring back their heads."

"Sending children to clean up your mess, Kote?" A bearded, scruffy man hollered from a corner of the Waystone Inn, taking another swig of his beer before sneering. "Denna must be so proud of you."

If Kote reacted to that snide remark, he did not show it on his face. He lifted his large hand off of the map, letting the group examine it as he leaned back against his counter and folded his arms. "I hear the wolves are more active at night, but more ferocious as well. If you depart now, you'll still get a good few hours in before the sun sets. On the other hand, you might not be able to find as many wolves as compared to if you went out at night... It's up to you guys."

Aria smiled back at him, her pale skin a contrast to that of Meis's tanned tone. "I'm Meis and this is Aria. She goes where I go, so she will certainly be joining. Don't worry, she won't be in the way," he said more or less ignoring Kote already.

"Night or day won't really matter, but I'd prefer to go in the night. I've dealt with wolves before, so it's not much of a hassle for the pay," he explained rather disinterested.

Turning to address those that had entered behind them and spoke of interest for the same request, Meis said, "Are you two going to be joining as well? If what the old keeper says is true, then I'm sure there will be plenty to go around at night."

Haus smiled back at Aria, not his signature cocky smirk, but a sincere smile. Something about the cheerful, quiet girl had charmed him- he didn't see many people like her. Not in this town, at least. He nodded to Meis.

"We'll wait until night, then. That gives us a few hours to kill." He said, smoothing back his hair. "Name's Haus, if you haven't already heard."

Haus looked expectantly at the others, chiming in, "It's in our best interest to stay in a group-" He looked down at Marok, ruffling the boy's hair. "As long as y'all can keep up." Haus immediately swore under his breath. He hated the 'farmer's talk', but hadn't been able to keep it out of his vocabulary.

1 person likes this

These youngsters thought themselves adventurers. Quaint, really; most of them looked like their balls hadn't even dropped yet. Takakazu didn't particularly relish the thought of working with them, but he doubted he would have much of a choice in the matter. They all seemed to want to leave only at night though; a foolish choice, if he would say so himself. These woods were foreign to him, and at night, there were far too many other perils than just wolves, from falling into ravines to getting lost and isolated.

"I am leaving at once." Takakazu stated, turning to walk out of the door. "It is foolish to wander into unfamiliar forests without knowing the lay of the land, and there is little else to interest me in this little town. If any of you wish to follow me, go ahead, but don't blame me if you end up in over your head."

1 person likes this

"Well, considering I've lived here my whole life, I'm pretty sure I know the woods." Marok rebutted. "Besides, if we head out at night, I know where we can find lanterns, y'know, incase you're afraid of dark." He was trying to get on his nerves to see how he responded.

He acted like he was so wise, being the the eldest in the group, and Marok absolutely hated that. He just wanted to see him fail when he headed out by himself. He turned back towards the rest of the group. "So, if we leave in, say, 6 hours, we should be able to make it right after sunset. Before that, we should rest up and make sure we're prepared for the task ahead of us." 

"Do as you please. I and Aria will be waiting at the edge of the north end of town. Show or not we'll be going," Meis said with indifference.

He turned his voice to the arrogant man who was leaving ahead of them. "I have confidence in my abilities, so I don't have any problem with the night. If you feel safer during the day, no one will stop you," he said, not to provoke the man, to but assure him.

Meis motioned with one hand, rough from the fifteen years at the forge, to Aria who'd remained silent and together they turned and headed for the room they'd purchased. It didn't seem likely they'd get much use out of it, but he'd paid and would get at least some time there. "They were mostly young teens. Will they really be all right," Aria asked as they walked down the narrow corridor. 

"All aside from myself and that oriental. If they took the job they must have some confidence in skill, so I'm not too concerned over it," Meis replied.

"Geez! I'm not as young as I look either Meis! You should include me there too. Just because I have this body everyone treats me like a kids still," Aria complained.

Meis shrugged and pat her on the head saying, "Don't worry so much about others."

Kote allowed the adventurers to discuss things over with each other, turning around to pick up another glass to clean. It was at this point that he seemed to finally notice the terrible state of his rag, and he dropped it into a pail of water as he pulled out a new one from under the bar. "If you head out now you'll see James at the town entrance who'll point you towards the woods," he explained to Takakazu before turning to the rest. "Feel free to stay here if you wish to wait till night time. It's not like there's anything much to do in this town anyway."

At the north gate of town, a grizzled man wearing a lopsided helmet and holding a rusty lance leaned against the fence, picking his nose.

[if the group is split into two we will have liquid time, meaning both day and night events will be held simultaneously. Mention in your post whether your character wants to go out in the day or at night.]

[Day]

True to Kote's word, there was an unbelievably slovenly, ill-disciplined and poorly-equipped man standing at the town entrance. Indeed, having such a sorry-looking man to welcome visitors to this collection of hovels was truly a fitting reflection of the barbarian condition. "Where's the wolves?" Takakazu asked, and the man pointed out into the forest with a grunt, before letting out a truly earth-shaking belch.

Barbarians. Tch. Feeling slightly relieved, Takakazu headed off into the woods, studying the lay of the land as he moved onwards.

[Night]

When Haus left the Inn, the Sun was low in the sky, it's light barely grazing the treetops that lined the north end of town. He wore a set of light leather armour, with a hood of the same, dark colour. A small lantern hung at his hip, bouncing noisily as he walked. He gave James a lazy salute as he approached, to which the man let out on unceremonious grunt, shoving the rusted point of his lance towards the woods.

Haus leaned against a crumbling wall, waiting for the rest of his group to arrive.

Meis and Aria spent the remainder of the day scanning over several maps of the area, as well as the lands that lay ahead in their journey, discussing their finances and future plans, and simply resting while chatting about aimless things. To find Syne was the goal, and it would likely take them dangerously close to the heart of the darkness that had claimed the globe. As the sun began to sink from it's high throne in the sky both he and Aria left the inn, their goods left in the room securely. 

Meis wore at his hip a single katana, the saya coated in a gloss that gave off the feeling of blue dragon scales. The tsuka was wrapped in fine black cloth. Sheathed inside was a marvelously forged blade, the curve radiating brilliance, and the edge honed to stupid sharpness. Aria was unarmed, only her skirt and blouse to protect her as well. She stayed close to Meis as they walked toward the edge of town to meet with the others.

He nodded his head in a slight bow to greet James and they both stood a short distance from Haus, not speaking to him or anyone else.

Marok had noticed the time, and decided it was time to stop practicing and head out. Passing through the town, he decided to buy a loaf of bread and put it in his satchel incase they got hungry. He headed towards the north gate. 

"Hey." He said to his companions as he arrived, accompanied by a nod. He had a cloak on, and some leather armour. At his side, he had two small sheathes, each holding one of his daggers. "So, you all ready to head out?"

[Edit: Woo, new page]

[Day]

The sound of Takakazu's trek through the woods soon attracted the attention of unwanted individuals, and he soon found himself approached by two gruffy bandits. The first was holding a dagger, with his other hand holding on to a leash that was connected to a wolf. The second bandit had both his hands firmly grasped onto the hilt of an axe, and sneered at Takakazu. "Look what the wind blew in today, Gren," he sneered. "Those clothes don't look like they belong on an ordinary villager. He might be loaded!"

The one named Gren guffawed. "Yer right, Mitch! 'Ey, you there! Why don't you be a good lad and hand over all yer valuables, and nobody's gonna get hurt. See?"

[Night]

James yawned, looking over the group with disinterest. "There's howlin' out there," he grunted. "Be careful, or you'll come back with a huge hole in your head." He began to snigger at his own joke, snorting in between breaths while the group gathered at the gate.

As the four adventurers entered the forest, the light provided by the moon was quickly blocked out by the towering trees, plunging them into near darkness. Not five minutes before they entered the line of trees did they begin to hear soft snarling all about them. Padded feet crunched leaves underfoot as six wolves quickly bounded into view, their silver fur barely visible under the poor lighting conditions as they circled the four adventurers, sizing them up. The first one, probably the pack leader, pounced towards Meis, the seemingly weakest of the lot.

Seeing the wolves circling them, Marok quickly unsheathed his daggers. He held them at his side, ready for combat. Watching them carefully, he saw the wolf jump towards Meis. Marok ran to the side of the wolf, and swiped at it's side, the dagger going through the whole left side of the wolf. When it was whimpering on the ground, his plunged his dagger into his heart.

"One down, five to go."

Without a second's hesitation, Takakazu pulled his near-empty coin pouch and shook out its contents, letting two dull nickels drop onto the dirt with a dull thunk. Then, with a polite grin, he gestured towards the coins on the ground, saying, "My culture extols the virtues of generosity towards the helpless. You can have what little I have." He paused, before jabbing his finger towards them, his smile now completely gone. "If you're willing to kneel for them."

"You're fuckin' with me!" The bandit sneered, raising his axe and charging. "I'll split your skull like a melon!"

Takakazu's expression didn't change in the slightest, and he watched impassively as the bandit closed the distance. The bandit brought the axe down in a two-handed blow aimed at his head -- and to his shock, found his axe stuck in midair, steadfastly refusing to budge no matter how hard he tried. "What fuckin' game are ya playin'?!" the bandit yelled, taking his hands off the axe and pulling a shiv from his belt, thrusting it towards Takakazu's waist. 

The axe abruptly dropped to the floor, and the bandit found his hand caught in a vice-like grip by some invisible force. The force tightened, and he screamed as his hand turned pale, his shiv falling from trembling fingers. Then, Abe flicked his hand through the air, and the bandit's arm seemed to twist on its own accord, before abruptly breaking at the elbow, leaving the man to collapse to the ground, wailing like a baby. 

"To me, this might as well be a game." Takakazu remarked, glaring at the other bandit, who was starting to back away slowly. "Come at me, with your little dog and your tiny knife. It'll save me the effort of chasing you down."

[Day]

Gren watched in horror as Mitch was brutally assaulted by an invisible force that manifested itself around Takakazu, halting the axe effortlessly as he snapped Mitch's elbow like a twig. "B-Black magic!" He stuttered, pointing a shaky hand at Takakazu as the wolf next to him began to growl in response. "Get away from me, wizard! The boss will hear about this!"

Letting go of the leash of his wolf, Gren turned and sprinted away, much to the chagrin of Mitch, who was still groaning in pain on the ground. Freed from his restraints, the wolf charged at Takakazu, rearing its fangs and claws as it pounced high into the air, leaping straight at him.