TalonedHeels

[Discussion] The Vile Siren - Pirates!

76 posts in this topic

Is there one already? I know Talon said she was thinking about it... I don't see a problem with two if we have to; one would just be the 'Master Navigator' while the other would be the secondary one if the first one died.

Which brings to my attention a very good question; is it just going to be us on this ship, or are there going to be minions?

I don't like Manhire. 

And I'm not sure Ella is good either, to be honest. Sounds too....girly.

I just liked the description more than anything.

Yeah, and it won't just be us on board, I'd imagine. Other crew members, who can be NPCs.

I was expecting npcs I just figured we could play them on occasion to move the story along at times

So I heard you guys need some more MALE presence. Sign me up!
I'll take a looksie at a character sheet later on, if you'll have us~

Full Name: Isabelle Dean

Nickname(s): Izzy, Iz.

Position: Master Gunner, Medic

Personality: Izzy, who absolutely hates being called by her real name Isabelle, is abrupt, blunt, and honest to a fault. If she doesn't like you, you'll know it, if only because you won't be a blink of her radar. She can be compassionate and kind though, to the few that she cares about. Those people will also see that she has a good sense of humour, but it's often hidden by the responsibilities on her shoulders, and the scars from her past. 

Weapons: She's competent with pretty much anything, but she always has a sword, dagger and pistol on her. 

Skills: She's the main medic/doctor aboard the Vile Siren, but her skills aren't as good as those who practice on the mainland. She's adequate enough to be of service aboard a ship, as her interference could be the difference between life and death.

Knowledge of cannons, and other weaponry. She makes sure all the gunners know their job, and do it correctly and efficiently. Any and all mistakes land on her head, as she's in charge, so she's extremely strict and doesn't suffer fools gladly. In fact, she doesn't suffer them at all. No one is a worthy risk to her job. 

Appearance: She's short, at roughly 5'2", but more than makes up for it with fierce attitude. She's rather small, petite almost, but her frame is almost always hidden beneath men's clothes - breeches, loose shirts, and boots. Her blonde hair is long, which she wears in dreadlocks, and due to the general uncleanliness of a ship, look like a darker blonde than they actually are. Emerald eyes look out from a tanned, feminine face, which is usually covered in soot and other dirt, from working with the cannons below deck. It's obvious she's female, but she doesn't flaunt it. 

History: Izzy was born on the mainland, the location of which she is unsure of her. Her mother died during childbirth, leaving her with her older brother and father, who was a raging alcoholic. Any money he earned was spent at the local taverns, leaving Izzy and John, her brother, to resort to stealing, just so they could eat. When their father would return home, he'd often yell and scream at them for any mistakes he thought they'd done, including trying to hit them. However, he was always so intoxicated that he'd stumble, fall and then pass out. 

This lasted until Izzy was 14, and John was 16. They decided to leave, and join the crew of a ship which was setting sail from the local harbour. Izzy had never worn a dress, or even women's clothes, and nothing changed from that moment on. She didn't try to hide her gender, but it was easy to go unnoticed, doing the work she was told to do, all the while watching, and seeing what she could learn. Her brother, who had worked at a local blacksmith's until they'd left, was a dab hand at most things, and was quickly made a gunner. 

They were crew on that ship for four years, during which John was promoted to Master Gunner's Second, and she took his place as a general gunner. When she was 18, the ship was attacked by Hade's Nightmare, and the pirates who invaded, after having killed their Captain, told them they could join their crew, or die along with their Captain. Wanting to live, John and Izzy didn't hesitate in joining, having no idea that they were stepping aboard one of the most feared ships currently sailing the seas. 

Izzy's gender had largely been ignored during her time aboard her first sailing vessel - with the exception of some groping hands at night, which she'd either ignored or encouraged, given her mood - but on Hade's Nightmare, she was never allowed to forget it. During the daylight, she was expected to do each and any task given to her, even if she'd never done it before. She'd been beaten if she couldn't do it, and never acknowledged if she could. She worked twice as hard as anyone else, for no respect, and any time her brother tried to help her, he was beaten too. Being killed during the initial attack started looking like the better option, but Izzy was too stubborn and determined to show weakness. At night, she was treated like a whore, and expected to like it. The only person who never touched her, with the exception of her brother, was the doctor, who watched what she went through, night and day, and told the Captain he needed an assistant - someone to train to take his place, as he wasn't getting any younger. Hearing who he wanted as an assistant, the Captain immediately denied the request. Knowing not to push, the Doctor - Bill - waited for his next opportunity, and when the Captain was drunk one evening, asked once more. With the rum softening his heart ever so slightly, the Captain agreed, but only so long as it didn't interfere with Izzy's jobs. 

It didn't give her much time to herself, but Izzy relished a new learning experience. Helping her brother meant she knew how she man the guns, maintaining the cannons and loading them, but she knew very little else outside of weaponry. The general running of a ship was knowledge every pirate knew, but she yearned for more. 

She was 22 by this point, with a hardened heart and a feisty attitude. She fought back when she could, especially at night, and with her new medical lessons, her time upon the Hade's Nightmare wasn't completely living up to its name. She even got made a gunner, finally, although she was better at it than any of the other men she worked with, bar the second, and the Master Gunner himself. Things were looking up, and she actually started to smile occasionally. Bill was pleased with her enthusiasm and eagerness to learn, especially when she made her first, correct diagnosis and treatment. She was still treated as one of the lowest ranks on the ship, but she finally had something to strive for.  Life was better.

That was until one evening, when someone tried to take her in bed. Reacting on instinct, she kicked out, catching the First Mate in the groin. What happened below decks usually went ignored by the Captain, but seeing his First Mate in pain enraged him. Instead of punishing Izzy, he chose John, and had him shot on deck, right in front of his sister. 

She never got over that moment, but also refused to allow any of them to see her upset. Apart from that moment when the pistol was fired, she didn't show any emotion in front of her crewmates, even Bill, and the next time they pulled into a harbour, she snuck off ship, and never returned. Vowing to get revenge, she worked on any ships she could, fighting, biting and clawing whenever someone tried to hurt or touch her. She became completely obsessed with avenging her brother's death, deliberating pushing everyone anyone away, and refusing friendships and lovers. 

Then she joined The Vile Siren...

Full Name: Viktor Nielsen

Nickname: Nails

Position: Boatswain, or Bosun

Personality: Viktor shows a bitter, intimidating exterior to most on the ship, but inside he seeks revenge and is a much more hospitable man, who has been hardened by events in his life.

Weapons: He usually carries a standard cutlass, flintlock pistol and a sharp, fairly long flickknife which he normally uses in his daily work on the ship. He only really carries his cutlass during skirmishes, but he never has a day without his trusty knife at his side.

Skills: Having to tend to, replace and repair most parts of the ship, he has a fine attention to detail and a deft pair of hands. He is skilful with his knife in particular but his keen eyes make him a halfway decent shot when the need arises.

Appearance: Bright blonde hair, grey eyes, the sides of his hair greying a little in places. Goatee/moustache. Wrinkles on his forehead. He wears a white tunic top, the sleeves rolled up past his elbows, along with traditional brown seafarer's style trousers and black boots. He has a necklace of leather around his neck, from which hangs a large shark's tooth and two smaller ones either side.

History: Viktor grew up in a small port town on a Nordic coastline, where he lived with his family and ran the town's local fishery. He grew up with the knowledge of how to set up and maintain a fishing boat to an exceptional seafaring standard.

That is until one fateful day when none other than the dreaded pirate ship, the Hades' Nightmare, stormed the port during the night. Viktor was struck on the head by a marauding pirate early into the attack, falling unconscious and taken to the ship as a captive. He regained his senses just to see his home-town drifting slowly away from him, in flames and ruin, not a living soul to be seen.

Over the long months into years afterward, Viktor began to lose hope that his family ever got out alive, until eventually he accepted in his thoughts that they were dead, while he remained onboard serving their murderers as a souvenir of sorts to them. He quickly learned the price of disobedience, many agonising nights without sleep on a lashed back forced his hand. He started off as a deck swab like many captive new blood of a pirate ship, before his dextrous hands and skill with the rigging caught the captain's eye, earning him a new position where he would maintain and tend to all of the rigging, sails, cables and wood of the ship, keeping the Nightmare in shape as one of the most terrifying, fastest ships to sail the oceans.

But still, at night, in his short moments of privacy, he thought of home. What he had lost, no, had wrenched from him. It infuriated him, how feeble he was, how completely unable he was to act against it. He was but one man against a crew of the most dangerous pirates on the waters. He noticed a young girl also on board, being taken in as the medic's apprentice, who was often taken advantage of by the crew in their long periods at sea with no female company. He could clearly see that she was also a prisoner of the crew, taken away from her own life to serve the pirates. At that, he felt a great deal of pity for her, understanding at least some of the pain that she would have been feeling. However, months on end of separation from female contact take its toll on even the most honest of men, and one night he turned to her to fulfill his own need, unable to stop himself. The sea was cruel with a man's mind that way.

Afterwards however, he came up with a plan for both of them to escape. The Nightmare was due to dock for more supplies soon. Viktor's reputation had grown enough for him to be one of the leaders when it came to resupplying the ship and he would sail out to port. He stowed the young girl away under his rigging and sail parts that he was commanded to get repaired, and once they had reached the town, both slipped away from the crew members, finally free from the clutches of the Hades' Nightmare

It was there that they parted ways, but he still held the need for revenge inside him. He journeyed across the country to the other side, where a new ship was making crew, the Vile Siren...

I have a profile it's just getting my butt back on the computer to get it up...sorry. today or tomorrow though

So I skimmed over most things and this is a rough bio.

Full Name: Veronica Melanie Boones

Nickname: Vero, V, Cap, Boones, Lass

Position: Captain

Personality: Extrememly strong willed and determined, always feels like she has to prove herself; that being said though Veronica thinks things thoroughly before acting as she learned quite quickly through past experiences. Known to be cold hearted, Veronica is actually more just withdrawn. She doesn’t show much emotion anymore outwardly except for the sly grin normally on her face. Growing up her mother was rather strict with her and she developed a complex that women should be seen and not heard, so when she isn’t barking orders she can be perceived as not pay attention and staring out to see but she really is listening. 

Weapons: Proficient in rapier, sabre, dirks, and carries a small tomahawk on the small of her back, as well carries on her person two flintlock pistols. She really has just collected them and kept them in her quarters most times. Only weapon seen on her normally is the tomahawk, the sabre, and one of the pistols.

Skills: 

Quick-wit and charm: This has saved her neck more than a few times. Enough can’t be said about a pretty face

Hand to hand combat: On a constant battle to be better and prove herself she’s become rather dangerous when it comes to sword fight with the ability to take on men three times her size at most.

Formal upbringing: This allows her to blend in easier while the ship is docked in order to recruit and gather supplies without drawing attention to herself.

Appearance: Voluminous ash brown waves reach just past her shoulder blades, with bright green eyes that starkly contrast the golden tanned color of her skin from sun exposure. Stands right at five feet four inches tall Veronica is not quite the threatening sight. Clothed in an off white (it’s more just turning yellow) off the shoulder chemise, an under bust black leather corset, and a tattered maroon bustle skirt Veronica has kept some of the fashion sense that was taught to her at a young age. (Also working on a crap drawing for y’all)

History: Veronica’s history is odd to say the least. Veronica was brought up in a merchant household, being the youngest of four children as well as being the only girl. Her parents spared no expense on her hoping that she would always catch the eye of someone of higher social status. While her brothers went off to learn the trades with her father, Veronica was expected learn and be properly educated in the ways of a lady. By the time of her eighteenth birthday Veronica was well aware of her duty to her family. She was to marry into money and help her family. But like most young ladies who feel trapped, her soul longed for freedom. Upon the realization that the only way for her to gain her freedom was to leave, Veronica fled late in the evening, boarding the first merchant ship that she found docked. 

Her following years were not easy, yet she found herself under the care of a fellow shipmate who took a liking to her. He taught her how to sword fight, how to adjust to sea living and most importantly how to truly love. Those following three years had been the happiest of her life. Her happiness was short lived however as their ship was attacked by the Sea’s Hangman and her crew. The battle did not last long but Veronica had lost everything. The sight of the ship sinking to the bottom of the ocean with her love dead upon the deck burned in her mind. At the mercy of the men who sailed upon the Sea’s Hangman Veronica did what she could to prove herself, working just as hard as they did. Never did she expect she would become a pirate. More years passed by and her heart grew guarded and the captain started perceiving her as unnecessary. Taking the chance to prove herself Veronica and two other set out on the mission to acquire a beast of legend: a mermaid. Veronica would sell the beast and use the money to buy a ship of her own. Seemed to be a good plan. Veronica finally obtained one but it cost two of the ship’s men. She learned of the mermaid’s name and recalled how she longed for freedom herself. The mermaid gained her no prize however; she grew fascinated by the creature and decided to keep her for herself as a personal prize, more like a pet.  Veronica brought Andorial aboard the Sea’s Hangman and things changed for both of them.

Time had passed by and Veronica grew to accept Andorial as a fellow mate and no longer as a prize until one fateful night. One of the crew attacked her, forcing himself on her. Enraged Veronica fought back in defense killing him and earning punishment by the Captain. Everything spiraled out of control, the Captain was dragged to the depths of the ocean by Andorial and Veronica became Captain because of the mermaid. Veronica further shut herself in, understanding that she had not gained the title captain by her own doing. Veronica vowed to prove she was worth being captain on her own accord, striking fear wherever the two women roamed. And it was time to strike again, setting her sights on creating a name for her and most women who chose a life at sea. It was time that the seven seas would learn to fear the coming of The Vile Siren

Hey guys! Sorry for being MIA. I'll have a character up sometime tomorrow and we can start soon.

I was at a convention and now I'm recovering. XD  I wrote all this in my first post, I noticed some of you PM'd me. But I did mention it.

I told them. We're all understanding so don't worry. We do have a Skype chat going on so feel free to pm one of us too add you

Yeah, Raine reminded us all, which is why I sent a second message apologising for my first message lol

The awkward moment when you write up your character, are pretty convinced you posted her, and for some reason never did. So here she is. Excuse my dream like state as of late. Tragic typical story. XP

Full Name: Tabitha Cornwell

Nickname: Tabbie 

Position: Navigator / Cartographer

Personality: Incredibly enthusiastic about her trade, absolutely passionate about the “art†of navigation and all things maps. Very eccentric. A bit of a nervous wreck when things aren’t going according to plan or if there is any reason to go off course. But in general, she is kind and caring about those around her, the last person you would peg to join a pirate crew.

Weapons: Intellect? Pretty decent with a set of small knives she carries on her person... in a pinch.

Skills: As previously stated, she absolutely adores maps and navigation. She is an incredibly skilled navigator and cartographer. She also has eyes like a hawk and is exceedingly useful up in the crow’s nest for spotting incoming obstacles. 

Appearance: Tabbie is a rather petite young girl. She stands at 5’1†exactly and is basically all skin and bones. She uses this to her advantage though, and is incredibly nimble on her feet. She has long brown hair that she usually pulls back into a braid and then secures with a bandanna. Stray hairs always escape though, leaving her constantly blowing or pushing hair out of her face as she concentrates on her work. The girl has deep green eyes and a face full of freckles, which make her appear much younger than she is. She is typically found in a simple shirt and men’s trousers, finding women’s clothing too restrictive for her day to day activities. 

History: Tabbie grew up in a coastal town, frequented by pirates. The town welcomed the business with open arms, so it remained relatively safe. The only danger the town faced in regards to the pirates would be two rival pirate ships causing trouble nearby, or a government raid looking for the criminals. Otherwise, the town was relatively peaceful and held only the wary fear that one day their luck may run out and those who protected them would decide to no longer do so. 

Tabbie was raised exclusively by her mother, the local barmaid. She never knew who her father was, and it never really bothered her. She would help up in the tavern with her mother sometimes, but other times she would hang out with the clientele and hear stories of their grand adventures. To Tabbie, the idea of being a pirate was romanticized at a very young age. She would stay up late chatting with the crew and begging them to tell her stories until her mother put her to bed. The same crew frequented the area, so she got to know many of the men quite well.

One many in particular took a shine to the small girl and decided to take her under his wing. Hawk, they called him, in reference to his skill at navigation. He taught the girl all he knew about navigating a ship using the stars. He even taught her what little he knew about making maps themselves. Sparked with this knowledge, Tabbie acquired every book she could on the subject and learned even more. Every time Hawk’s ship docked in the town’s harbor, she would be ready and eager to tell him more of what she had learned. And in turn he would teach her more. Hawk was the closest thing to a father the girl ever had.

Then there came a time when his ship did not visit for a long time. This had happened with many of the other ships and crews she came to know and love. It was part of being attached to these types of people. But with Hawk, it hurt even more. Eventually, his ship did show up, but without Hawk. One of his crew members came to her and handed her a box. He had apparently willed it to her in the chance that he would someday fall to someone else’s hand. It was his Sextant, the one he had taught her to navigate the stars with. It was in that moment she decided it was time for her to set out on her own journey, life was too short to wait. So she set out to find a pirate crew to join, and that crew would be The Vile Siren.

Starting. It's enough to make a grown man cry...but not this man!*

Glad to see this up and running; it's time to pirate our way through the seas.

* Yes, this is a quote from a brilliant movie.

So...

You's guys are going to post at some point, right? I know it hasn't been that long, but I'm still excited for this.

I haven't forgotten, I'm just waiting on someone else to post.

-coughscottcoughcough-

:D

Okay guys, I'm going to drop out of this, due to my waning interest. 

I hope y'all have fun with it ^^

You are commenting as a guest. If you have an account, please sign in.
Reply to this topic...

×   You have pasted content with formatting.   Remove formatting

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead