Sign in to follow this  
Followers 0
Seanzilla

Sean Games Presents: Empires [Sign up/Discussion Thread]

101 posts in this topic

Empires

The easiest way to describe Empire is by comparing it to Risk and a standard fantasy RPG. The game is played in factions, the so-called Empires, consisting out of several players. These players all control a Hero. The objective of the game is for an Empire to control a majority of the map or eliminate all enemies.

Empires

• Empires are faction consisting out of several Heroes.

• Every Empire starts with 1 Field and its Heroes can expand its territory by conquering additional Fields.

• After conquering a new Field a Stronghold is built upon the Field, marking it as official Empire territory

• Fields that have no owner can be taken freely, but taking a Field owned by an opposing Empire requires the destruction of an enemy Stronghold.

• Every Empire receives 1GP per round per Field owned. GP can be spent to upgrade stats of the Heroes (by upgrading equipment) or to upgrade the stats of Strongholds.

• Conventional moves will be declared in the thread, but special abilities will be activated in the separate Empire chat.

• Empires will get sorted after enough people have signed up. Either through random assigning or through Captains and snake draft.

Heroes

• When creating a Hero pick a class out of the provided list. The chosen class will determine your base stats, passive ability and active ability.

• Every Hero has 7 stats: Hit Points, Attack, Magic Attack, Defense, Magic Defense, Speed and Recovery.

• Base stats are determined by Class, but everyone also gains 5 points that they can spend freely to customise their character. HP increases in increments on 3 and REC can't be upgraded.

• In combat, the difference between Attack and Defense or Magic Attack and Magic Defense determines the amount of HP lost. There will always be a minimum of 1 HP lost. So if someone’s Defense overshadows the opponents Attack, he will still lose 1HP.

• Speed determines the order in attacks take place and determines how far a Hero can travel through allied territory.

• Recovery determines the amount of HP restored per round. It is also possible to ‘Rest’, which means that your Hero forsakes his move for the round in order to recover double his Recovery in HP.

• By gaining EXP heroes can level up and gain higher stats and more abilities. Each level up gives your Hero 5 stat points he can freely spend.

• Killing an enemy hero grants EXP equal to 10 times the Hero's level.

• The highest stats a Hero can achieve are equal to its Base Stats + 30 for HP or 20 for the rest. So the max stats for a Knight are: 39 HP, 22 ATK, 20 M.ATK, 24 DEF, 22 M. DEF, 22 SPD.

• EXP earned after reaching level 5 will get converted into gold.

Monsters

• There are several Monsters on the field. Each Monster is ranked with Stars. The higher their ranking the more dangerous they are.

• Killing Monsters awards EXP. Killing Monsters worth 3 or more Stars will also grant the Hero who lands the killing blow a special ability.

• The amount of EXP given is dependant on the amount of Stars a Monster is worth. Every Star is equivalent to 5EXP. All EXP is divided among everyone who participated in the fight.

• Monsters will spawn once every two rounds and will be visible on the map.

Combat

• When two opposing Heroes enter the same square or when a Hero enters a square occupied by a Monster they engage in combat. Both will perform an attack and the amount of HP lost by both parties is calculated.

• At the start of the next round, Heroes can decide to leave the Field and end combat or remain in that field and continue battle.

• If the combat takes place in a Neutral field, the Field stays Neutral until one player is the sole occupant for at least one round.

• When in Melee combat, unless stated otherwise, the stats used will always be ATK vs. DEF.

Fields

• Conquering a Field is as easy as simply walking into it.

• The moment a Hero walks into a Field he does not own (meaning either an enemy Field of a Neutral Field) he can no longer move.

• A Hero can walk twice his Speed over friendly territory. Meaning that a Hero with 4 Speed can cross 8 Friendly territories per round.

• Strongholds have 15 HP - 1 ATK - 0 M.ATK - 5 DEF - 5 M.DEF - 1 SPD - 3 REC as base stats. These can be upgraded.

• Strongholds don't recover health as long as they are in combat.

• Destroying a stronghold gives EXP equal to 10 times the average of the highest and the lowest level enemy hero.

Upgrades

• You can upgrade stats by spending GP. The GP cost of upgrading a stat is equal to the value of the stat you want multiplied by ten. For example, increasing ATK from 5 to 6 costs 60GP.

• For HP, the value has to be divided by 3 after multiplying it by ten. So increasing health from 14 to 15 costs 50GP, not 150GP.

• Stronghold stats can also be upgraded. They need to be multiplied by 5 in order to get their cost. So from 1 ATK to 2 ATK costs 10GP.

Classes:

Knight

9 HP - 2 ATK - 0 M.ATK - 4 DEF - 2 M.DEF - 2 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Rally Allies - When engaged in combat along with an ally, your ally gains +1 to DEF and M.DEF.

Active: Shield Wall (3 Rounds Cooldown) - All damage received during this round is halved.

Level 3:

Active: Intervene (3 Rounds Cooldown) - If an Ally is engaged in combat within 3 Fields (including those not owned by your Empire) you can charge that distance and aid your ally.

Level 5: Hold the Line (5 Rounds Cooldown) - All damage received by you and your Allies during this round is halved and your Intervene is freely useable for this round.

Archer

3 HP - 3 ATK - 0 M.ATK - 2 DEF - 1 M.DEF - 2 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Bow and Arrow - You can perform an attack on opponents 1 Field away.

Active: Aimed Shot (3 Rounds Cooldown) - You can fire at an opponent up to 3 Fields away.

Level 3:

Active: Twin Strike (3 Rounds Cooldown) - You can attack one opponent twice or two separate opponents once.

Level 5: Poison Arrow (5 Rounds Cooldown) - You perform an attack with a poisoned arrow. Enemies struck by it take damage and 50% of your Attack as damage for 3 rounds.

Rogue

3 HP - 5 ATK - 0 M.ATK - 1 DEF - 1 M.DEF - 4 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Sticky Fingers - When attacking an enemy Hero, you steal GP equal to your ATK stat from their Empire and add it to your Empire’s resources.

Active: Ambush (No Cooldown) - Only useable on the first Round of the fight. Your attack deals 50% extra damage (rounded down). Resets when you spend 1 entire turn outside of combat.

Level 3:

Active: Cloak of Shadows (5 Rounds Cooldown) - For one round you are immune to magic damage and can move up to 2 times your Speed over any Field.

Level 5: Saboteur (Passive) - When attacking enemy Fields, you deal double damage to Strongholds and take half damage from Stronghold attacks.

Sorcerer

3 HP - 1 ATK - 3 M.ATK - 1 DEF - 1 M.DEF - 2 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Frost Missiles - You can perform a Magic Attack on an opponent from 1 Field away.

Active: Fountain of Flame (3 Rounds Cooldown) - You select 3 Fields, adjacent to each other, within 3 Fields of you. Everyone in that field takes damage equal to half your M.ATK.

Level 3:

Active: Glacial Wall (3 Rounds Cooldown) - You create a frozen wall along 3 borders for 1 round, preventing enemies from moving across.

Level 5: Burning Aura (5 Rounds Cooldown) - Enemies occupying adjacent Fields or your current Field take damage equal to your M.ATK.

Berserker

6 HP - 4 ATK - 0 M.ATK - 1 DEF - 1 M.DEF - 3 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Fury - When below 50% HP, you deal 50% extra damage.

Active: Relentless Assault (2 Rounds Cooldown) - During 1 round both you and your opponent attack twice.

Level 3:

Active: Endless Rage (5 Rounds Cooldown) - For three rounds you deal and receive 50% extra damage. Stacks with Fury.

Level 5: Bloodhound (5 Rounds Cooldown) - If your opponent disengages after having fought for one round, you can follow them regardless of how far they move and strike them once without them being able to retaliate.

Druid

6 HP - 1 ATK - 1 M.ATK - 2 DEF - 2 M.DEF - 2 SPD - 2 REC

Abilities:

Level 1:

Passive: Hybrid - When attacking normally you gain half of your M.ATK as ATK.

Active: Wild Shape (Once Per Round) - When Humanoid: Change into an animal. When Shaped: Change into Humanoid. Druids gain +1 DEF and +1 SPD while Shaped.

Level 3:

Active: Flare / Pounce (3 Rounds Cooldown) - As Humanoid: Deal your M.ATK in damage from 1 Field away. As Shaped: Jump onto an enemy from 2 Fields away and fight normally.

Level 5: Starbolt / Lacerate (5 Rounds Cooldown) - As Humanoid: Deal your M.ATK in damage to 3 separate enemies within 3 Fields. As Shaped: Deal 150% of your ATK in damage and an extra 50% per round for 3 rounds.

-----

Link to the Battlefield

I'm totally in on this one!

EDIT: After reading about the classes, my impression of the archer is really bad. Looking at the other classes how they all have something unique about their stats, the archer doesn't really have anything great in that area, and their skills are a little lack luster. I say revamp. This is just my opinion though. 

Also, I'd be taking rogue. :3

Archers and Sorcerer's both have the lowest base stats because they can kite for days. A Knight has higher base stats, but unless the Archer is an idiot a Knight will never beat an Archer cause he can't catch up to it.

It is typical in game design to give characters with Range lower stats, because no matter how high their stats, Melees will never have Range. The ability to deal damage without being in harms way is just as good (or maybe even better?) than the 4 points that they have less than a Knight.

Wait a moment, isn't REC really, really high for most characters? Most characters would only do 1-2 damage a turn to each other, which means damage from 1v1 combat would basically be zero for everyone who isn't fighting a Rogue or Berserker. And if you put all your points into REC, you'd basically regenerate your HP to full every turn.

I'm in anyway.

Yeah, but most classes other than the Knight will likely be focusing their early stats in their ATK stats, so that'll even it out a bit. Besides, most classes only have very low defenses. If I decide to nerf base RECs, it'll probably only be on Knights and Druids.

Adding points to REC is currently far more valuable than adding points to DEF though, as it mitigates 1 damage a turn regardless of whether it's magical or physical, and unlike defense, can completely mitigate scratch damage. The only exception where DEF would be more valuable is if the attack would be a killing blow.

I suggest not allowing players to add points in REC.

Um. This is probably a terrible idea, but count me in.

Makes sense. Glass Cannon Rogues / Berserkers would tear through someone who invested to heavily into REC though, but I'll likely just keep REC at 2 for every class and allow them to recover and additional 2 by Resting. 4 per turn should be plenty.

I'm not sure I understand what's going on but I've always wanted to learn how to play Risk. I guess this will be my way to start.

Hmmm my first question is: what do the fields mean? Like the A1, A2 etcetera. Do all the A fields belong in one common group or something?

They don't really mean anything. I simply listed them like that to correspond with the colours. So if someone said A3, I'd immediately know I am looking for a Field on the yellow part of the map.

Seanzi's trying to trick me into joining another D&D game so that he can try to kill me off!

So what happens when a Hero dies?

Seanzi's trying to trick me into joining another D&D game so that he can try to kill me off!

So what happens when a Hero dies?

You're out of the game

When your Hero dies, it means Seanzi has succeeded in trying to kill you off.

Trololol RIP Eth. T.T

You're out of the game

I read the thread bottom to top and when I saw that I thought "Oh someone said something and now Sean is kicking them out (but not really because tsundere)". But it turned out to be different in context.

Anyway I guess I can't resist joining.

Can 2 or more people pick the same type of Hero?

Added the following rule: 
  • When in Melee combat, unless stated otherwise, the stats used will always be ATK vs. DEF.
This basically means that the Sorcerer has to attack with ATK when in Melee range, unless he has Fountain of Flame or Burning Aura. Keep in mind that Fountain of Flame will also damage you and your allies. This was done because Archers and Sorcerers could both kite and damage from afar, but Sorcerers had the advantage of targeting M.DEF, which is likely to be lower than regular DEF most of the time.

Also about the Empires: There will be two Empires. This is done to remove politics from the game and make it all about action. If there are more than two Empires the best strategy is to gang up on the weakest one until there are only 2 Empires left. While it is a legit strategy, it isn't very fun for the first victim.

Teams will be picked as follows: I will pick two Captains and they will pick their teams through a system called Snake Draft. This basically means that the pick order reverses every round, so whoever got first pick is last pick in the next round and whoever got last pick is first pick in the next round. With only two Captains and a total of ten players it works like this:

Captain A picks 1 member, Captain B picks 2 members, Captain A pick 2 members, Captain B picks 2 members, Captain A picks 1 member.

Players will pick their classes prior to the start of the Draft. You don't need to spend your Stat Points, but everyone will have to lock in a class before Drafting. This is to encourage the Drafters to build something they would consider a good composition. However, I will allow 1 person per Empire to reroll his class after the Empires have been drafted.

Please state whichever class you'd like to play in this thread. 

WHO WANTS TO BE A CAPTAIN